Complex scalar field, conserved current, expanding functional

In summary, the conserved current is found by promoting the parameter describing the transformation- ##\epsilon## to depend on ##x##, and the potential is symmetric in both ##phi## and ##phi*##.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hi

I am looking at this action:

Under the transformation ## \phi \to \phi e^{i \epsilon} ##
everybodywantsapieceoftheaction.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
So a conserved current is found by, promoting the parameter describing the transformation- ##\epsilon## say- to depend on ##x## since we know that ##\delta S=0## on-shell trivially. So we find a quantity that has ##\delta S \neq 0## when ##\epsilon=\epsilon(x)##, but ##\delta S=0## when ##\epsilon## does not depend on ##x##.

I have read that the conserved current is the same as it is without the potential for the addition of a potential ##V(\phi \phi*)## in the Lagrangian.

So it must be that ## \delta V(\phi \phi*) =0 ## for both ##\epsilon## depending on ##x## or not depending on ##x##. Since there are no derivatives this is just that ## \delta V(\phi \phi*) =0 ##, required for the action to be invariant under the transformation anyway.

The Attempt at a Solution

## V(\phi \phi*) \to V(\phi \phi* e^{i \epsilon} e^{-i \epsilon}= V(\phi \phi*) ##

So looking at it from this it is obvious.

But, my question / point of my post, if I expand out ## V(\phi \phi*)## how do I show this?

I believe I can write: ##V[\phi,\phi*]=V[\phi,\phi*]+\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi * [2] ##

??

in this case I know that ##\delta\phi=-\delta\phi* ## to ##O(\epsilon)=O(\delta)##Therefore looking at [2] I see that it must be that ##\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi *=0####=-\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi* + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi *##so it must be that ##\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi}=\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} ##Is this true because rather than ##V[\phi,\phi*] ## we have ##V[\phi \phi*] ##; the potential is symmetric in both ##phi## and ##phi*##?But then I should have a 1 variable taylor expansion rather than 2 variable as I treated it to get [2]?How would I expand out something like ##V[\phi\phi* + \delta\phi* \phi + \delta \phi \phi*] ## treating ##\phi\phi*## as a single variable, rather what I have expanded out is ##V[\phi + \delta\phi, \phi* + \delta \phi*]##? (if this is something I've done wrong here, thanks)

Attachments

• everybodywantsapieceoftheaction.png
    everybodywantsapieceoftheaction.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hi

I am looking at this action:

Under the transformation ## \phi \to \phi e^{i \epsilon} ##View attachment 218290

Homework Equations

[/B]
So a conserved current is found by, promoting the parameter describing the transformation- ##\epsilon## say- to depend on ##x## since we know that ##\delta S=0## on-shell trivially. So we find a quantity that has ##\delta S \neq 0## when ##\epsilon=\epsilon(x)##, but ##\delta S=0## when ##\epsilon## does not depend on ##x##.

I have read that the conserved current is the same as it is without the potential for the addition of a potential ##V(\phi \phi*)## in the Lagrangian.

So it must be that ## \delta V(\phi \phi*) =0 ## for both ##\epsilon## depending on ##x## or not depending on ##x##. Since there are no derivatives this is just that ## \delta V(\phi \phi*) =0 ##, required for the action to be invariant under the transformation anyway.

The Attempt at a Solution

## V(\phi \phi*) \to V(\phi \phi* e^{i \epsilon} e^{-i \epsilon}= V(\phi \phi*) ##

So looking at it from this it is obvious.

But, my question / point of my post, if I expand out ## V(\phi \phi*)## how do I show this?

I believe I can write: ##V[\phi,\phi*]=V[\phi,\phi*]+\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi * [2] ##

??

in this case I know that ##\delta\phi=-\delta\phi* ## to ##O(\epsilon)=O(\delta)##Therefore looking at [2] I see that it must be that ##\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi *=0####=-\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi* + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi *##so it must be that ##\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi}=\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} ##Is this true because rather than ##V[\phi,\phi*] ## we have ##V[\phi \phi*] ##; the potential is symmetric in both ##phi## and ##phi*##?But then I should have a 1 variable taylor expansion rather than 2 variable as I treated it to get [2]?How would I expand out something like ##V[\phi\phi* + \delta\phi* \phi + \delta \phi \phi*] ## treating ##\phi\phi*## as a single variable, rather what I have expanded out is ##V[\phi + \delta\phi, \phi* + \delta \phi*]##? (if this is something I've done wrong here, thanks)

thanks for the like @Delta² , I don't suppose you may be able to help at all? thanks alot.

Ah, sorry I have my own doubts/questions about this so I won't be much of help if I say anything.

Always nice to see a post with an action integral invariant under some transform, that's why I gave it a like :D.

Likes binbagsss

Related to Complex scalar field, conserved current, expanding functional

What is a complex scalar field?

A complex scalar field is a mathematical construct used in quantum field theory to describe particles that have a spin of zero. It is represented by a mathematical function that assigns a complex number to every point in space and time.

What is a conserved current in relation to a complex scalar field?

A conserved current is a mathematical expression that represents a quantity that remains constant over time. In the context of a complex scalar field, it is often used to describe the conservation of energy and momentum.

How does a complex scalar field expand?

A complex scalar field can expand or change over time due to interactions with other fields or particles. This expansion is described by the complex scalar field's functional, which is a mathematical expression that maps the field's values at different points in space and time.

What is the functional of a complex scalar field?

The functional of a complex scalar field is a mathematical expression that maps the field's values at different points in space and time. It is used to describe how the field changes or evolves over time due to interactions with other fields or particles.

What is the importance of the complex scalar field, conserved current, and expanding functional in physics?

The complex scalar field and its associated concepts are important in physics because they provide a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow for the prediction and calculation of particle interactions and dynamics, and have been successfully applied in many areas of modern physics, including particle physics and cosmology.