Complexity theory {Hamiltonian, DHC, IND}

In summary: This algorithm can be implemented using a logarithmic amount of resources. In summary, to show that HC is NP-Complete, you need to use reduction to show that it is equivalent to a known NP-Complete problem like TSP. To show that k-IND is in Logspace, you need to design an algorithm which uses a logarithmic amount of resources to check for an independent set of size k in a graph.
needlittlehlp
Hello,

I need help with a couple of questions.
(The answers haven't come up properly and are too cryptic and I'm having some difficulty).
I'm trying really hard to learn this, so could you explain it as fully and clearly as possible - that would be of great help.
(I find there are some intuitive leaps, or pieces of insight in complexity theory that I don't always see).

Homework Statement

a) How do you show that the Hamiltonian Circuit problem is NP-Complete

(do you use gadgets? tsp? I think there is a 'clean' way to do it)

b) If Directed Hamiltonian Circuit is HC but for directed graphs, then how do you show that DHC is NP-Complete
(some how reduce DHC to HC).

2) An independent set I is a subset of the nodes of a graph G where: no 2 nodes in I are adjacent in G. For natural number k, the problem k-IND asks if there is an independent set of size k. The problem: How do you show k-IND is in Logspace.

Homework Equations

Notion of '<' reduction; intuition?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've stated by thoughts in brackets.

Like I've said, I am have difficulty in grip into this topic. If I have some solid foundation that I understand (ie: these questions) then I think I will improve my chances for the looming exam. :(

Please help. Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
.a) To show that the Hamiltonian Circuit problem (HC) is NP-Complete, you need to use a technique called 'reduction'. In this context, reduction means showing that an instance of HC can be reduced (transformed) into an instance of another problem that is already known to be NP-Complete. This other problem is called the 'target' problem and must already be known to be NP-Complete. One way to do this is to reduce from the Travelling Salesperson Problem (TSP) which is NP-Complete. You can do this by showing that any instance of TSP can be transformed into an equivalent instance of HC. This means that if you have an algorithm for solving HC, then you can also use it for solving TSP. b) To show that Directed Hamiltonian Circuit (DHC) is NP-Complete, you need to show that it can be reduced to HC. This means showing that an instance of DHC can be transformed into an equivalent instance of HC. Once you have done that, you can use the same reduction technique as before to show that HC is NP-Complete.2) To show that k-IND is in Logspace, you need to show that there is an algorithm which can solve the problem using a logarithmic amount of resources. This means that the algorithm needs to use only a logarithmic (O(log n)) amount of memory and time to solve the problem. You can do this by designing a clever algorithm which checks all possible combinations of nodes in the graph in a systematic way and determine whether they form an independent set of size k.

Related to Complexity theory {Hamiltonian, DHC, IND}

What is complexity theory?

Complexity theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that studies the behavior of complex systems. It aims to understand how simple rules can lead to complex and unpredictable outcomes, and how these systems can be described and analyzed using mathematical models.

What is a Hamiltonian?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a physical system. It is used in the study of classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system and how it evolves over time.

What is DHC?

DHC stands for "Dynamic Hamiltonian Complexity." It is a concept in complexity theory that refers to the complexity of a system that evolves over time according to a Hamiltonian. DHC is used to describe the behavior of systems that exhibit chaotic or unpredictable behavior.

What is IND?

IND stands for "Interactive Network Dynamics." It is a concept in complexity theory that refers to the dynamics of complex systems that are composed of interconnected components. It aims to understand how the interactions between these components can lead to emergent behaviors and patterns.

How is complexity theory used in real-world applications?

Complexity theory has applications in various fields, including biology, economics, ecology, and social sciences. It is used to study and understand complex systems, such as ecosystems, financial markets, and social networks. It also has practical applications in fields such as artificial intelligence, data science, and computational biology.