Component functions and coordinates of linear transformation

In summary: I suggest you call ##(1-t)A=tA'+tA''##, then ##tA'=(ta',tb',tc')## and ##tA''=(ta'',tb'',tc'')## and then add them to get ##f(t)=(ta+(1-t)a',tb+(1-t)b',tc+(1-t)c'')##.In summary, two distinct points A(a, b, c) and A'(a′,b′,c′) in R3 are defined, and a function f(t) from [0, 1] to R3 is given as (1-t) A + t A'. The component functions of f are expressed as (x, y, z
raghad
Let A(a, b, c) and A'(a′,b′,c′) be two distinct points in R3. Let f from [0 , 1] to R3 be defined by f(t) = (1 -t) A + t A'. Instead of calling the component functions of f ,(f1, f2, f3) let us simply write f = (x, y, z). Express x; y; z in terms of the coordinates of A and A, and t. I thought that a is the partial derivative of f1 with respect to x, b is the partial derivative of f2 with respect to y, and c is the partial derivative of f3 with respect to z. I am right? Any hint how to find the relation and to find the derivative of f?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
raghad said:
Let A(a, b, c) and A'(a′,b′,c′) be two distinct points in R3. Let f from [0 , 1] to R3 be defined by f(t) = (1 -t) A + t A'. Instead of calling the component functions of f ,(f1, f2, f3) let us simply write f = (x, y, z). Express x; y; z in terms of the coordinates of A and A, and t. I thought that a is the partial derivative of f1 with respect to x, b is the partial derivative of f2 with respect to y, and c is the partial derivative of f3 with respect to z. I am right? Any hint how to find the relation and to find the derivative of f?

I don't see why you think partial derivatives come into this. ##(1-t)A=(1-t)(a,b,c)=((1-t)a,(1-t)b,(1-t)c)##. Now do something similar for ##tA'## and just add them.

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps one set of coordinates to another set of coordinates in a straight line. It is commonly represented by a matrix and is used to transform geometric shapes and equations.

What are the components of a linear transformation?

The components of a linear transformation are the inputs, outputs, and rules that define the transformation. Inputs refer to the coordinates of the original shape or equation, outputs refer to the coordinates of the transformed shape or equation, and rules refer to the mathematical operations used to transform the coordinates.

How do you determine the coordinates of a transformed shape?

The coordinates of a transformed shape can be determined by applying the rules of the linear transformation to the coordinates of the original shape. This can be done by multiplying the coordinates by a transformation matrix or by using a set of equations that define the transformation.

Can a linear transformation change the size or shape of a shape?

Yes, a linear transformation can change the size and shape of a shape. The transformation matrix or equations used will determine how the coordinates are scaled, rotated, or sheared to create the transformed shape.

How are linear transformations used in real life?

Linear transformations are used in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. They are used to transform coordinates and equations to create realistic 3D graphics, model physical systems, and solve mathematical problems.