Component of a vector perpendicular to another

In summary, to find the component of a vector parallel to another vector, use the formula $\frac{\overline{u}\cdot\overline{v}}{|\overline{v}|}\overline{v}$, where $\overline{u}$ is the first vector and $\overline{v}$ is the second vector. To find the component of a vector perpendicular to another vector, use the formula $\overline{P} - (\overline{P}\cdot\overline{Q}^)\overline{Q}^$, where $\overline{P}$ is the first vector and $\overline{Q}^$ is the unit vector in the direction of the second vector. These formulas are
Drain Brain
Given $\overline{A}=-4a_{x}+2a_{y}+3a_{z}$ and $\overline{B}=3a_{x}+4a_{y}-a_{x}$.
1.Find the vector component of A parallel to B
2.Find the vector component of A perpendicular to B

my solution for 1.

$\overline{A}\cdot\overline{b}=-1.372$

$(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{b})(\overline{b})=-0.806a_{x}-1.075a_{y}+0.268a_{z}$

I'm not sure if my method is correct in 1, but it matched the answer at the back of my book. For 2 I have no idea how to attack it. please help. TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
Given $\overline{A}=-4a_{x}+2a_{y}+3a_{z}$ and $\overline{B}=3a_{x}+4a_{y}-a_{x}$.

I'm assuming you meant $\overline{B}=3a_x+4a_y-a_{z}$.

1.Find the vector component of A parallel to B
2.Find the vector component of A perpendicular to B

my solution for 1.

$\overline{A}\cdot\overline{b}=-1.372$

$(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{b})(\overline{b})=-0.806a_{x}-1.075a_{y}+0.268a_{z}$

Hmm; I get that $\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B}=(-4)(3)+(2)(4)+(3)(-1)=-12+8-3=-7.$ This is assuming that $a_x, a_y,$ and $a_z$ are orthonormal. Then $(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B})\overline{B}=-21a_x-28a_y+7a_z$. But if you're trying to find the component of $\overline{A}$ parallel to $\overline{B}$, you would need to compute
$$\text{proj}_{\overline{B}}(\overline{A})=\frac{\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B}}{\overline{B}\cdot \overline{B}} \, \overline{B},$$
or
$$\frac{1}{9+16+1}(-21a_x-28a_y+7a_z)=-0.807a_x -1.077a_y+0.269a_z,$$
pretty much what you got.

I'm not sure if my method is correct in 1, but it matched the answer at the back of my book. For 2 I have no idea how to attack it. please help. TIA.

Why not subtract the result of your previous calculation from $\overline{A}$? If you take $\overline{A}$, and subtract off from it however much of it is in the direction of $\overline{B}$, you should be left with how much of it is perpendicular to $\overline{B}$, right?

This, by the way, is the beginning of the Gram-Schmidt Orthonormalization Procedure, of great importance in linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

Ackbach said:
I'm assuming you meant $\overline{B}=3a_x+4a_y-a_{z}$.
Hmm; I get that $\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B}=(-4)(3)+(2)(4)+(3)(-1)=-12+8-3=-7.$ This is assuming that $a_x, a_y,$ and $a_z$ are orthonormal. Then $(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B})\overline{B}=-21a_x-28a_y+7a_z$. But if you're trying to find the component of $\overline{A}$ parallel to $\overline{B}$, you would need to compute
$$\text{proj}_{\overline{B}}(\overline{A})=\frac{\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B}}{\overline{B}\cdot \overline{B}} \, \overline{B},$$
or
$$\frac{1}{9+16+1}(-21a_x-28a_y+7a_z)=-0.807a_x -1.077a_y+0.269a_z,$$
pretty much what you got.
Why not subtract the result of your previous calculation from $\overline{A}$? If you take $\overline{A}$, and subtract off from it however much of it is in the direction of $\overline{B}$, you should be left with how much of it is perpendicular to $\overline{B}$, right?

This, by the way, is the beginning of the Gram-Schmidt Orthonormalization Procedure, of great importance in linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

By the way, $\overline{b}$ is the unit vector in the direction of $\overline{B}$

Drain Brain said:
By the way, $\overline{b}$ is the unit vector in the direction of $\overline{B}$

Is there a general formula for prob. 2 like what you suggested in prob 1? Thnaks!

Drain Brain said:
Is there a general formula for prob. 2 like what you suggested in prob 1? Thnaks!

I'd recommend you take a closer look at the tail end of Post #2.

1) The component of vector parallel to another vector is found by the formula

u . v/ l v l
u refers to first vector, . refers to dot product, v is second vector and l v l is magnitude of second vector.

2) The component of vector perpendicular to another vector is found by the formula

P - ( P . Q^) Q^

P refers to first vector, - refers to subtraction, . refers to dot product, Q^ refers to the unit vector in the direction of second vector.

You can ask me for more doubts,

I am a student studying in 8th grade.

1. What is a component of a vector perpendicular to another?

A component of a vector perpendicular to another is a vector that is at a right angle to the original vector. This means that the two vectors are completely independent of each other and do not share any common direction.

2. How do you calculate the component of a vector perpendicular to another?

To calculate the component of a vector perpendicular to another, you can use the dot product or cross product formula. The dot product is used for finding the scalar component, while the cross product is used for finding the vector component. The formulas will depend on the given vectors and their angles.

3. Can a vector have more than one component perpendicular to another vector?

Yes, a vector can have multiple perpendicular components to another vector. This is because any vector that is at a right angle to the original vector can be considered a component perpendicular to it. Therefore, there can be an infinite number of perpendicular components for a single vector.

4. What is the difference between a parallel and perpendicular component of a vector?

A parallel component of a vector is a component that shares the same direction as the original vector, while a perpendicular component is at a right angle to the original vector. This means that the two components are completely independent and do not affect each other's magnitude or direction.

5. Why is finding the perpendicular component of a vector important?

Finding the perpendicular component of a vector is important because it allows us to break down a vector into its independent components. This can be useful in solving complex physics problems and understanding the motion of objects in different directions. Additionally, it helps in calculating the net force acting on an object when multiple forces are acting at different angles.