Unit vector perpendicular to a plane.

In summary, the unit vector in the direction of E at P(2,3,-4) is $\overline{E}=(x^2+y^2+z^2)\left(\frac{xa_{x}}{\sqrt{y^2+z^3}}+\frac{ya_{y}}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}+\frac{za_{z}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)$, and is perpendicular to the plane passing through M(1,-5,5), N(-2,4,0) and Q(2,3,4).
Drain Brain

Find in rectangular coordinates a unit vector which is: A. in the direction of E at P(2,3,-4)if $\overline{E}=(x^2+y^2+z^2)\left(\frac{xa_{x}}{\sqrt{y^2+z^3}}+\frac{ya_{y}}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}+\frac{za_{z}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)$; B. Perpendicular to the plane passing through M(1,-5,5), N(-2,4,0) and Q(2,3,4) and having a positive $x$ component.

I managed to solve for a.

$E=11.6a_{x}+19.46a_{y}-32.161a_{z}$ at P(2,3,-4)

then, $\overline{a_{E}}=\frac{E}{|E|}=0.295a_{x}+0.495a_{y}-0.818a_{z}$

what I did for prob B was I find all the possible cross products of the vectors defined by those 3 points given above. I get different results and one of them matched the key answer in my book. Are those results that I get from taking all the cross products of the vectors on the plane defined by the given points valid?

$\overline{MQ}\times\overline{NQ}$ by the way, this is the cross product that matched the answer in my book.

can you help me with prob B. TIA!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:

Find in rectangular coordinates a unit vector which is: A. in the direction of E at P(2,3,-4)if $\overline{E}=(x^2+y^2+z^2)\left(\frac{xa_{x}}{\sqrt{y^2+z^3}}+\frac{ya_{y}}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}+\frac{za_{z}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)$; B. Perpendicular to the plane passing through M(1,-5,5), N(-2,4,0) and Q(2,3,4) and having a positive $x$ component.

I managed to solve for a.

$E=11.6a_{x}+19.46a_{y}-32.161a_{z}$ at P(2,3,-4)

then, $\overline{a_{E}}=\frac{E}{|E|}=0.295a_{x}+0.495a_{y}-0.818a_{z}$

what I did for prob B was I find all the possible cross products of the vectors defined by those 3 points given above. I get different results and one of them matched the key answer in my book. Are those results that I get from taking all the cross products of the vectors on the plane defined by the given points valid?

$\overline{MQ}\times\overline{NQ}$ by the way, this is the cross product that matched the answer in my book.

can you help me with prob B. TIA!

You know that the points (1, -5, 5), (-2, 4, 0) and (2, 3, 4) lie in the plane which has equation $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a\,x + b\,y+ c\,z = d \end{align*}$, where a,b,c,d are constants. So substituting these values in gives the system of equations

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \phantom{-}1a - 5b + 5c &= d \\ -2a + 4b + 0c &= d \\ \phantom{-}2a + 3b + 4c &= d \end{align*}$

Once you solve the system for a,b,c in terms of d, you will be able to write down a vector that is normal to the plane. Dividing by d and its length will give you a unit vector in that direction.

Prove It said:
You know that the points (1, -5, 5), (-2, 4, 0) and (2, 3, 4) lie in the plane which has equation $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a\,x + b\,y+ c\,z = d \end{align*}$, where a,b,c,d are constants. So substituting these values in gives the system of equations

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \phantom{-}1a - 5b + 5c &= d \\ -2a + 4b + 0c &= d \\ \phantom{-}2a + 3b + 4c &= d \end{align*}$

Once you solve the system for a,b,c in terms of d, you will be able to write down a vector that is normal to the plane. Dividing by d and its length will give you a unit vector in that direction.

Is there other quick method than this?
what can you say about the cross product that I mentiond above? It gave me the right answer though.

Last edited:
Hi,

Your method was right, and even simpler, given three not collinear points in the space, you can choose two vectors between them that will generate the whole plane containing that three points, and the crossproduct will give you a perpendicular vector to the plane, and if you flip the order of the vectors into the cross product you will get the same answer but with the sign changed.

Hi, Fallen Angel! thanks!

1. What is a unit vector perpendicular to a plane?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1, which is perpendicular to the plane. This means that it is at a 90 degree angle to every point on the plane.

2. How is a unit vector perpendicular to a plane calculated?

To calculate a unit vector perpendicular to a plane, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors that lie on the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and will have a magnitude of 1 when normalized.

3. What is the purpose of finding a unit vector perpendicular to a plane?

Finding a unit vector perpendicular to a plane can be useful in many applications, such as calculating the normal vector to the plane, determining the angle between two planes, and solving for the distance between a point and a plane.

4. Can a unit vector perpendicular to a plane be negative?

No, a unit vector cannot be negative. It always has a magnitude of 1, which means it is a positive direction in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there multiple unit vectors perpendicular to a plane?

Yes, there are infinite unit vectors perpendicular to a plane. This is because any vector that is perpendicular to the plane and has a magnitude of 1 can be considered a unit vector perpendicular to the plane.