Component of infinitesimal strain tensor

In summary, the conversation involves a continuum mechanics problem where unit elongations at a point on a body are measured using strain gages. The coordinate system is rectangular Cartesian and the strain component E12 is being discussed. The solution involves rotating the tensor E and using the measured elongations to calculate E12.
nikolafmf
I have the folowing continuum mechanics problem which I can't solve:

The unit elongations at a certain point on the surface of a body are measured experimentally by means of strain gages that are arranged at 60° in the direction of 0°, 60° and 120°. Coordinate system is rectangular Cartesian, defined by e1 at 0° and e2 at 90°. If the unit elongations are designated by a, b, c, respectively, what is the strain component E12?

Now I know how to calculate elongation in a certain direction n: it is nEn, where E is written in the coordinate system given above, E is the infinitesimal strain tensor. But what is E12?

Now my idea is to rotate tensor E for 60, or 120 degrees and to take its E'11 component as the given elongation at 60, or 120 degress respectively. From that should be possible to find E12.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is my solution correct or am I missing something?Yes, your solution is correct. You can find E12 by rotating the tensor E for 60 and 120 degrees and taking the corresponding E′11 components as the given elongations at 60 and 120 degrees respectively. Then you can calculate E12 from the measured elongations (a,b,c) using the equation E12 = (a + b - 2c)/2.

Related to Component of infinitesimal strain tensor

1. What is the definition of a component of infinitesimal strain tensor?

The component of infinitesimal strain tensor is a mathematical representation of the small changes in shape and size of a material or object under stress.

2. How is the infinitesimal strain tensor calculated?

The infinitesimal strain tensor is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the displacement vector with respect to the coordinates of the material or object.

3. What is the significance of the infinitesimal strain tensor in material science?

The infinitesimal strain tensor is used to analyze and understand the behavior and properties of materials under different types and levels of stress, which is crucial in material science and engineering.

4. How does the infinitesimal strain tensor relate to other strain measures?

The infinitesimal strain tensor is related to other strain measures such as the engineering strain and true strain. It provides a more accurate representation of small deformations compared to these other measures.

5. Can the infinitesimal strain tensor be used to predict failure in materials?

While the infinitesimal strain tensor is an important tool in material science, it cannot be used to predict failure in materials. It only describes small deformations and cannot account for large or sudden changes in stress or strain.