Components of E for a waveguide problem.

In summary, the components of E for a rectangular wave guide are Ex = A1 cos( k1 x) sin(k2 y) e-i (\omegat-\gammaz), Ey = A2 cos( k1 x) sin(k2 y) e-i (\omegat-\gammaz), and Ez = 0. It is shown that A1 = -A2 k2 / k1 through manipulation of the original equations and recognizing that each equation is a vector component. The missing constraint is discussed and further calculations are needed.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

For a rectangular wave guide the components of E were found to be

Ex = A1 cos( k1 x) sin(k2 y) e-i ([tex]\omega[/tex]t-[tex]\gamma[/tex]z)

Ey = A2 cos( k1 x) sin(k2 y) e-i ([tex]\omega[/tex]t-[tex]\gamma[/tex]z)

Ez = 0

Show that in these equations A1 = -A2 k2 / k1

Homework Equations

See part (a)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instinct is simply substitute this given A1 into the x equation and show its equivalence to the second. But I'm not so sure that's the best way to go about it (or even the correct way to go about it). It would be tempting to solve this using matrices but that doesn't seem appropriate.

So, any suggestions as to if I'm on the right track or way off base are much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi atomicpedals! :smile:
atomicpedals said:
Show that in these equations A1 = -A2 k2 / k1

hmm :rolleyes: … that's the same as k1A1 + k2A2 = 0 …

how could you manipulate the original equations to get that? :wink:

Aww fer crying out loud, they're vector components (facepalm)... yeah, leave it to me to miss the bleedin' obvious!

Thanks!

tiny-tim said:
hi atomicpedals! :smile:

hmm :rolleyes: … that's the same as k1A1 + k2A2 = 0 …

how could you manipulate the original equations to get that? :wink:

I don't get it.

The fist thing I failed to see right off the bat was that each equation was a vector component. That is E = ( Ex , Ey , Ez )

So looking at it like that there are a number of ways to get it down to the simple algebraic form (divergence or laplacian ...I'll need to crunch the numbers).

Ignoring Ez, in your problem statement you have two equations whos amplitudes are independent. There's a missing constraint.

Related to Components of E for a waveguide problem.

1. What is the purpose of the E component in a waveguide problem?

The E component, or electric field component, is used to describe the distribution of electric field strength within a waveguide. It is an important factor in determining the behavior of electromagnetic waves in the waveguide.

2. How is the E component related to the other components in a waveguide problem?

The E component is closely related to the H component, or magnetic field component, in a waveguide problem. Together, they make up the electromagnetic field and are interconnected through Maxwell's equations.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of the E component in a waveguide?

The magnitude of the E component can be affected by the material properties of the waveguide, the frequency of the wave, and the geometry of the waveguide. Additionally, external factors such as nearby objects or sources of interference can also impact the E component.

4. How is the E component typically represented in mathematical equations for a waveguide problem?

In mathematical equations, the E component is often represented by the symbol E, and is typically described as a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction. It is also commonly represented in terms of its electric field strength and electric potential.

5. Can the E component be measured and observed in a waveguide problem?

Yes, the E component can be measured and observed using specialized equipment such as electric field probes or antennas. These measurements can provide valuable information about the behavior of electromagnetic waves in the waveguide and can be used to validate theoretical models and simulations.