Single shear element in stress tensor: Finding Von Mises

In summary, the Von Mises criterion is valid when considering a single shear component as in the given example.
jasc15
When finding the Von Mises of given a stress tensor who's only element is a single shear component (τ):

\begin{bmatrix}
0 & τ & 0\\
τ & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
the result is simply √3×τ. Is the Von Mises criterion not valid when considering a single component as in this example? I can't seem to reconcile that a calculated shear stress (say by a simple shaft twisting where τ=Tc/J) should be multiplied by √3. I understand that when using the Von Mises yield criterion, it is to be compared to the uniaxial yield allowable, not the shear allowable. However, the yield allowable is not √3 greater than the shear allowable.

In the example I am actually considering there is also normal component, but I want to see the effect of the two components in isolation as well as combined

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think this is consistent with the calculations of the Von Mises criterion. In the case of a pure shear stress,
b9639ecbd343db3d22c0be8c5155911c.png
according to the load scenario table in the page below.

See below information from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_yield_criterion

Wikipedia.org said:
In the case of pure shear stress, [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/4/d/44dcfff99c0c0c4fc2ab5177bb18be1f.png, while all other [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/5/d/25d584aefa115a4f46e0d761fef717d8.png, von Mises criterion becomes:

[PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/c/3/3c3d2ee47e2ecaab57039f34a5cedcb9.png.
This means that, at the onset of yielding, the magnitude of the shear stress in pure shear is
7d2db2b2c90be143cb85c105105317da.png
times lower than the tensile stress in the case of simple tension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. How am I to understand this from the point of view of a simple strength of materials problem, where I am asked to find the shear stress in a shaft with an applied torque, and to compare it to the shear allowable for that material.

For example, a torque of 150 in*lb and a shaft radius of 0.15 in results in an applied shear stress of

τ = T*c/J = 150*0.15/(Π*.152) = 28,294 psi.

The shear allowable of the material I am working with is 31000 psi, and the uniaxial yield allowable is 36000 psi.

Using the simple shear stress calculated, I get a margin of safety of 31,000/28,294 -1 = 0.10

Using Von Mises, I get √3*28,294 psi = 49,007 psi, with a resulting margin of 36,000/49,007 -1 = -0.27

Is this simply a matter of choosing how conservative you want to be in design? I wouldn't be comfortable using only the first method knowing the second method results in negative margin.

Generally speaking I would lean towards the Von Mises criterion for your margin, especially since you have such a small shaft for the torque.

1. What is a single shear element in a stress tensor?

A single shear element in a stress tensor is a two-dimensional element that is subjected to shear stress in one direction only. It is typically represented by a rectangle with one longer side and one shorter side.

2. How is the Von Mises stress calculated for a single shear element?

The Von Mises stress is calculated for a single shear element by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the normal stresses and the shear stress. This can be represented by the equation: σ_VM = √(σ_x^2 + σ_y^2 + σ_xy^2).

3. What is the significance of the Von Mises stress in engineering?

The Von Mises stress is significant in engineering because it is a measure of the maximum equivalent stress in a material, taking into account both normal and shear stresses. This allows for more accurate predictions of material failure and deformation.

4. How does the Von Mises stress differ from other stress measures?

The Von Mises stress differs from other stress measures, such as the maximum stress or the principal stresses, because it takes into account the combined effects of normal and shear stresses. This makes it a more reliable measure for predicting material failure.

5. Can the Von Mises stress be used for all types of materials?

Yes, the Von Mises stress can be used for all types of materials, including ductile and brittle materials. It is a widely accepted measure for evaluating the strength of a material and can be applied in various engineering applications.