Proof of double angle formulas using Euler's equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving the double angle formulas for sin(2Θ) and cos(2Θ) by using Euler's formula raised to the second power. The person asking for help is unsure how to approach the problem, but it is suggested to use the properties of complex numbers to simplify the solution. Eventually, the answer is revealed to be (cos2Θ+2isinΘcosΘ-sin2Θ).
SamRoss
Gold Member
Hi all,

I'm slowly working through "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas, which I highly recommend, and I'm stumped on one of the questions. The problem is to prove the double angle formulas sin (2Θ)=2sinΘcosΘ and cos(2Θ)=cos2Θ-sin2Θ by using Euler's formula (raised to the second power) ei2Θ=cos(2Θ)+isin(2Θ). I should be splitting this up into two equations, one setting the real parts equal to each other and the other with the imaginary parts but I'm not sure how to do that with the left side looking like it does. Should I first be taking the natural log of both sides? If so, what are the logs of sin and cos?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Do you know what ##(e^{iΘ})^2## is?
Oh duh...
(e)2=(cosΘ+isinΘ)2=cos2Θ+2isinΘcosΘ-sin2Θ which automatically leads to the answer. I was so stuck on looking at it in exponential form I didn't see what was right in front of me. Thanks for the help!

1. What is Euler's equation?

Euler's equation is a fundamental mathematical relationship that connects the complex exponential function, the trigonometric functions, and the imaginary unit.

2. How does Euler's equation relate to double angle formulas?

Euler's equation provides a way to express trigonometric functions in terms of complex exponential functions. Using this relationship, we can derive the double angle formulas for sine and cosine.

3. What are the double angle formulas for sine and cosine derived from Euler's equation?

The double angle formulas for sine and cosine are:
sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)

4. Can Euler's equation be used to prove other trigonometric identities?

Yes, Euler's equation can also be used to prove other trigonometric identities such as the half angle formulas and the sum and difference formulas.

5. Are there any practical applications of Euler's equation and the double angle formulas?

Yes, Euler's equation and the double angle formulas are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve various problems involving trigonometric functions.