Comprehension Schema: The Possibility of Multiple Sets with the Same Property

• Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axiom
In summary, the Comprehension schema allows for the existence of sets that contain only certain types of objects, depending on what the property is.
robertjford80
P(x) = x ∉ x ⊃ for any set A, there is a set B such that x ∈ B iff x ∈ A and x ∉ x

Does the above mean that different things can bear the same property. For instance, x can be bipedal means x can be an element of the set human or x can be an element of the set ostrich.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your original statement is confusing. What do mean by "x ∉ x"?

It's not my statement but Jech's. See attachment.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-06 at 5.25.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-03-06 at 5.25.13 PM.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 603
In a perfect world, we'd like to say that, given any property ##P##, there is a set ##B## such that ##x\in B## iff ##P(x)##. This roughly says that if I know what attribute I would like the elements of my set to possesses and can describe that attribute, then I can "build" a set that contains precisely those objects which possesses that attribute. This seems like a reasonable expectation that one would have for sets, but unfortunately is a bit too greedy. Accepting this naive requirement of sets, that I can build it if I can describe it, leads to inconsistencies, the most famous of which is Russell's paradox, which is how the whole ##x\not\in x## bit applies.

The Comprehension schema is basically the way that axiomatic set theory gets around Russell's paradox. It says that given any property ##P## and any set ##A##, there is a set ##B\subset A## such that ##x\in B## iff ##P(x)## and ##x\in A##. It basically means that if I know what attribute I would like my set to have and am willing to limit myself to choosing my elements from a "pre-determined" set, then I can build a subset of that pre-determined set that contains precisely those elements of the pre-determined set that possesses the desired attribute.

Of course, this is a very informal take on a very formal subject. So what I've written isn't necessarily the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It's as close to the truth as I could come up with without getting overly technical, and I think it's a pretty fair representation.

gopher_p said:
It says that given any property ##P## and any set ##A##, there is a set ##B\subset A## such that ##x\in B## iff ##P(x)## and ##x\in A##.

I would need a real life example of something that has property P and belongs to set A etc.

robertjford80 said:
I would need a real life example of something that has property P and belongs to set A etc.

Well, to use your own example from the original post, assuming that the collections mammals, birds, and animals are all sets and that being bipedal is a property that an object might have, then the sets of bipedal mammals, bipedal birds, and bipedal animals are all guaranteed to exist given the Comprehension schema. However the collection of all bipedal things is not guaranteed to exist (as a set) ... unless of course the collection of all things is a set ... which it's not. But now we're jumping outside of the realm of the "real world", so ...

gopher_p said:
Well, to use your own example from the original post, assuming that the collections mammals, birds, and animals are all sets and that being bipedal is a property that an object might have, then the sets of bipedal mammals, bipedal birds, and bipedal animals are all guaranteed to exist given the Comprehension schema. However the collection of all bipedal things is not guaranteed to exist (as a set) ... unless of course the collection of all things is a set ... which it's not. But now we're jumping outside of the realm of the "real world", so ...

Thank you.

1. What is the Axiom schema of comprehension?

The Axiom schema of comprehension is a fundamental concept in set theory that allows us to construct new sets based on a given property or condition. It states that for any property P(x), there exists a set that contains all elements x that satisfy the property.

2. How does the Axiom schema of comprehension differ from the Axiom of Separation?

The Axiom schema of comprehension is a generalization of the Axiom of Separation, which only allows us to create subsets of existing sets. The Axiom schema of comprehension allows us to create new sets, not just subsets, based on a given property.

3. What is the significance of the Axiom schema of comprehension in mathematics?

The Axiom schema of comprehension is a fundamental tool in defining and understanding sets in mathematics. It allows us to construct new sets and prove the existence of certain sets, which is essential in building the foundations of mathematics.

4. Can the Axiom schema of comprehension lead to contradictions in set theory?

Yes, if not used carefully, the Axiom schema of comprehension can lead to contradictions in set theory. This is known as Russell's paradox, where the set of all sets that do not contain themselves leads to a contradiction. To avoid this, mathematicians have developed formal systems for using the Axiom schema of comprehension, such as Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the Axiom schema of comprehension?

Yes, the Axiom schema of comprehension has certain limitations. One limitation is that it cannot be used to define a set that contains all sets, as this would lead to Russell's paradox. It also cannot be used to define a set that contains itself, as this would lead to a contradiction. Additionally, the Axiom schema of comprehension does not tell us which properties are allowed or not allowed, so its use requires careful consideration.