Compressed Air Energy Storage System

In summary, the conversation is about determining the amount of work consumed by a CAES system that compresses air from 102.2kPa and 24 degrees C to 85 bar adiabatically at a rate of 168 kg/s. The relevant equations are unclear and the person is unsure how to find the compressed temperature. They attempted a solution using -w = (h2-h1) and U = Q + w, but they are unsure if they have the required values. They are seeking help in solving the question.
Isotropic

Homework Statement

I have a CAES system that takes air at a pressure of 102.2kPa and temp of 24 degrees C. It is compressed to 85 bar adiabatically at a rate of 168 kg/s. I know that Cp = 1.005 kJ/kgK and Cv = 0.718 kJ/kgK. The question is - determine the amount of work consumed by the compressor in kWh.

2. Relevant equation
Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

Totally lost with this question, attempted a solution using -w = (h2-h1) and then U = Q + w, but i don't think i have the required values for that. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isotropic said:
Any help
Not sure I can answer the question fully, but I know where I would start: find the compressed temperature.

1. What is a Compressed Air Energy Storage System (CAES)?

A Compressed Air Energy Storage System is a type of energy storage technology that involves compressing air into a storage vessel, typically underground, using excess energy from power plants or renewable sources. When energy is needed, the compressed air is released, heated with fuel, and used to power turbines to generate electricity.

2. How does a CAES system work?

A CAES system works by using excess energy from power plants or renewable sources to compress air into a storage vessel, typically underground. When energy is needed, the compressed air is released and heated with fuel, expanding and powering turbines to generate electricity. The exhaust heat from the turbines is then captured and used to preheat the compressed air, making the system more efficient.

3. What are the advantages of using a CAES system?

Some advantages of using a CAES system include its ability to store large amounts of energy for extended periods of time, its relatively low cost compared to other energy storage technologies, and its ability to use existing infrastructure such as natural gas pipelines for fuel. It also has a long lifespan and can be located near existing power plants or renewable energy sources.

4. What are the limitations of a CAES system?

One limitation of a CAES system is that it requires a specific geological formation, such as an underground cavern, for the storage vessel. This may limit its applicability in certain areas. It also has a lower efficiency compared to other energy storage technologies, and the compression and expansion of air can cause noise and vibration.

5. How is a CAES system different from other energy storage technologies?

Compared to other energy storage technologies, a CAES system has a lower cost and longer lifespan. It also has a higher energy storage capacity and can store energy for longer periods of time. However, it has a lower efficiency and is limited by the availability of suitable geological formations for the storage vessel. It is also different from other technologies, such as batteries, in that it does not use chemical reactions to store energy.