Compressor Relation: Torque, Speed & Efficiency

In summary: No, they do not.CFM and performance are affected by the RPM of the compressor, not the speed or torque of the motor.In summary,The speed and torque of the motor have no effect on the compressors' CFM and performance.
Onew
Hi everyone!

I am new to mechanical engineering and recently I started about compressors. I am trying to find relation between torque, speed and output efficiency of the compressor. Can anyone help me with simple explanation so that I can understand.

I will be really thankful if you could help me!

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which part don't you understand?

Thank you for the reply.
Kindly note I am an electrical engineer so I am not familiar with those topics but I am in a need of the relation between those factors for my project.

There are many types of compressors and different types efficiency that I came across; I didn't know from where to start and how those factors are related.

Tell us about the project .

The part with compressor is I need to find the efficiency and loss at the end of the compressor driven by a motor coupled with gear box and I need to find the relation between the factors that affects them. So before all, I need to get relation equations between motor, gear box and compressor.
Thank you.

Thank you Nidum.
I am looking for something like that but not exactly. I am looking for previous stage of relation with gear box and compressor at no load condition.

Onew said:
I am trying to find relation between torque, speed and output efficiency of the compressor.

Onew said:
I need to find the efficiency and loss at the end of the compressor driven by a motor coupled with gear box and I need to find the relation between the factors that affects them

Onew said:
I am looking for previous stage of relation with gear box and compressor at no load condition.

So you just want to know what the frictional and other losses are for a compressor running under no load conditions ?

Probably yeah.!

https://www.gmrc.org/documents/APPLICATIONGUIDELINEFORELECTRICMOTORDRIVEEQUIPMENTFORNATURALGASCOMPRESSORS.pdf

Thank you so much nidum. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Heyyy guys,

I got another doubt! Does the speed and torque of motor have any effect on the compressors' CFM and performance?

1. What is the relationship between torque, speed, and efficiency in a compressor?

The relationship between torque, speed, and efficiency in a compressor can be described by the compressor's power curve. As the speed of the compressor increases, the torque required to maintain that speed also increases. However, the efficiency of the compressor decreases as the speed increases.

2. How does the speed of a compressor affect its efficiency?

The speed of a compressor directly affects its efficiency. As the speed increases, the efficiency decreases due to increased friction and heat generation within the compressor. This is why it is important to find the optimal speed for a compressor to balance power and efficiency.

3. What is the role of torque in a compressor?

Torque is the rotational force that drives the compressor. It is responsible for maintaining the speed of the compressor and providing the power needed to compress the gas. The higher the torque, the more power the compressor can produce.

4. How do changes in speed and torque affect the performance of a compressor?

Changes in speed and torque can greatly impact the performance of a compressor. As mentioned earlier, increasing speed and torque can lead to decreased efficiency. However, finding the right balance between speed, torque, and efficiency can greatly improve the overall performance of the compressor.

5. How can the efficiency of a compressor be improved?

The efficiency of a compressor can be improved by finding the optimal speed and torque for the specific application. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also help improve efficiency by reducing friction and wear within the compressor. Upgrading to newer, more efficient compressor models can also greatly improve efficiency.