Compton Scattering in the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in wavelength between gamma-ray photons produced by nuclear fusion reactions in the center of the sun and visible light photons emitted from its surface. It is suggested that this difference is due to the phenomenon of Compton scattering, where a photon undergoes multiple scattering events as it travels from the center of the sun to its surface. The conversation then estimates the average increase in wavelength per Compton scattering event.
oldspice1212

Homework Statement

Nuclear fusion reactions at the center of the sun produce gamma - ray photons with energies of about 1 MeV (10^6 eV). By contrast, what we see emanating from the sun's surface are visible light photons with wavelengths of about 500nm. A simple model that explains this difference in wavelength is that a photon undergoes compton scattering many times, in fact 10^26 times, as suggested of the solar interior, as it travels from the center of the sun to its surface.
Estimate the increase in wavelength of a photon in an average compton - scattering event.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not exactly sure what they mean by increase in wavelength what I did was calculate the wavelength using,
[itex]E = \frac{ hc }{ lambda }[/itex] solving for lambda I got 1.2*10^-12m. But, I don't think it's that easy. So what is this initially asking?
I'm thinking that it's asking for the average wavelength but not sure that lambda prime is, if I have that I can use the compton scattering equation, right?

I think I just answered my own question haha, the other wavelength is 500nm, so now I can subtract and use the compton scattering right? :P

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon has an initial wavelength in the core of the Sun, and a final wavelength at its surface. It undergoes a given number of scattering events. What is the average change in the wavelength per event?

1. What is Compton Scattering in the Sun?

Compton Scattering in the Sun is a phenomenon that occurs when high-energy photons from the Sun collide with free electrons in the Sun's atmosphere. This collision results in a scattering of the photon's energy and a change in its direction.

2. How does Compton Scattering affect the Sun's radiation?

Compton Scattering plays a crucial role in the transfer of energy and momentum within the Sun. It can either increase or decrease the energy of photons, which affects the overall radiation emitted by the Sun. This process is important in understanding the Sun's energy output and its impact on Earth's climate.

3. What types of particles are involved in Compton Scattering in the Sun?

Compton Scattering in the Sun involves the interaction between photons and free electrons. The photons can be of any energy level, while the electrons must be unbound and free to move within the Sun's atmosphere.

4. How does Compton Scattering in the Sun contribute to the Sun's spectrum?

The process of Compton Scattering contributes to the Sun's spectrum by producing a broad range of photon energies. This leads to the continuous spectrum of the Sun, which includes all wavelengths of light from infrared to ultraviolet.

5. Can Compton Scattering in the Sun be observed from Earth?

Yes, Compton Scattering in the Sun can be observed from Earth using specialized instruments and telescopes. Scientists can study the changes in the Sun's spectrum caused by Compton Scattering to gain insights into the Sun's internal processes and energy output.