[Compton scattering] Solving for wavelength

In summary, the energy of the incident photon when the recoiled electrons energy is measured to 3 MeV is -326*10^{-6} nm.
Rafiki

Homework Statement

Question: Determine the energy of the incident photon when the recoiled electrons energy is measured to 3 MeV. The angle between the incident photon and the scattered photon is 60°.

Given and knowns:
θ=60° (Angle between incident photon ##\gamma## and scattered photon ##\gamma'##)
Recoiled electron energy ##E_e##= 3MeV
##\hbar## = 6.6261##^{-34}## Js
##m_e##=0.511 ##\frac {MeV} {c^2}## (rest mass for a electron)

Homework Equations

##E_i=E_\gamma+m_ec^2##
##E_f=E_{\gamma'}+E_e##
Compton scattering: ##\lambda'-\lambda=\frac\hbar{m_ec}(1-cos\theta)##
##E_\gamma=\frac {\hbar c} {\lambda}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting out with ##cos(60)=\frac 1 {2}## and compton scattering i get
##\lambda'-\lambda= \frac \hbar {2m_ec}## ⇔##\lambda'=\lambda+ \frac \hbar {2m_ec}##
Then ##E_\gamma-E_{\gamma'}=(\gamma-1)m_ec^2## and realize that ##(\gamma-1)m_ec^2=E_e##.
Using ##E_\gamma=\frac {\hbar c} {\lambda}## gives us ##E_e={\hbar c}( \frac 1 {\lambda} - \frac 1 {\lambda'})##.

Now rewrite to ##\frac {E_e} {\hbar c}=( \frac 1 {\lambda} - \frac 1 {\lambda'})## and substitute ##\lambda'=\lambda+ \frac \hbar {2m_ec}## ⇒ ##\frac {E_e} {\hbar c}= \frac 1 {\lambda} - \frac1{\frac \hbar {2m_ec}+\lambda}##.

Solving for ##\lambda## ⇒...⇒ ##\lambda=-\frac \hbar {4m_ec}\pm \sqrt{(\frac \hbar {4m_ec})^2+\frac {\hbar^2} {2E_em_e}}##

Is the final expression correct? Plugging in numbers gives me ##\lambda= 326*10^{-6}## nm which is a much lower/shorter wavelength than i expected it to be.
I asume it is reasonable within the gammaray territory but currently i do not have a feel for what values are reasonable or could be expected, so i am unsure if it is a matter of a error in the algebra, from a physics reasoning standpoint or plugging in numbers.

As a bonus question, is it possible to get a () around the "##-##" in ##\pm## using latex?

Physics news on Phys.org
I redid the algebra and it seems to check out. However i get the incident photons energy to 2.73 MeV, which seems strange to me since the recoiled electrons energy is 3.0 MeV. Meaning that the recoiled electrons energy is higher than the incident photons energy.
Can this occur without the electron having some initial speed? It wasn't specified in the question whether the electron was at rest or moving before the "collision".

I had converted poorly from electron volts to joules at one place, which gave me the contradicting numbers. Marking it as solved.

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon of high energy collides with a particle, typically an electron, and transfers some of its energy to the particle. This results in a change in the photon's wavelength and direction of propagation.

2. How is Compton scattering related to wavelength?

Compton scattering is closely related to wavelength because the change in wavelength of the scattered photon is directly related to the energy transferred to the electron. This change in wavelength can be calculated using the Compton scattering formula.

3. How do you solve for wavelength in Compton scattering?

To solve for the wavelength of the scattered photon in Compton scattering, you can use the Compton scattering formula: λ = λ0 + h/mc (1-cosθ), where λ0 is the initial wavelength of the photon, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

4. What factors affect the change in wavelength in Compton scattering?

The change in wavelength in Compton scattering is affected by the initial energy of the photon, the mass of the electron, and the scattering angle. As the initial energy of the photon increases, the change in wavelength also increases. A larger mass of the electron or a smaller scattering angle will result in a smaller change in wavelength.

5. How is Compton scattering used in scientific research?

Compton scattering is used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It is used to study the properties of particles, such as electrons, and to determine the structure and composition of materials. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as Compton scatter tomography, to produce detailed images of the inside of the body. Additionally, Compton scattering is used in astrophysics to study the properties of high energy objects, such as black holes and neutron stars.