Compton Shift and energy of scattered x-rays

In summary, when X-rays with a wavelength of 0.2x10^-9 m collide with a target, the scattered X-rays experience a Compton shift of 0.0007x10^-9 m. By using the formula E=hc/lambda, we can determine the energy of the scattered X-rays. There is also a relationship between wavelength and energy of a photon, and using the given information, we can calculate the new wavelength of the scattered X-rays.
Gurj
X-rays with a wavelength of 0.2x10^-9 m collide with a target.
The scattered X-rays experience a Compton shift of 0.0007x10^-9 m.
What is the energy of the scattered X-rays?Just wondering what equations I would use here etc?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you determine the wavelength of the scattered X-rays?
Do you know how wavelength and energy of a photon are related?

I think there is a minus sign missing in your exponents.

Yeah sorry there was meant to be minus signs in there,
E=hc/lambda is the relationship between the energy and wavelength i think.
I know of this formula: λo=λ' - (h/Mo*c)*(1-cosθ) but then i don't know what exactly to do with it

You don't need that second formula, as the wavelength shift is given.

If the initial wavelength of 0.2 * 10^(-9) m increases by 0.0007 * 10^(-9) m, what is the new wavelength?

Your formula for the energy is right.

So I just add the wavelengths and plug that into the energy formula with the other two constants?

That will give you the correct answer, right.

What is the Compton Shift and how does it relate to the energy of scattered x-rays?

The Compton Shift is a phenomenon observed when x-rays interact with matter. It describes the change in energy and wavelength of the scattered x-rays compared to the incident x-rays. This shift in energy is due to the transfer of energy from the x-rays to the electrons in the material, resulting in a decrease in the energy of the scattered x-rays.

How is the Compton Shift calculated?

The Compton Shift can be calculated using the equation Δλ = (h/mc)(1-cosθ), where Δλ is the change in wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle between the incident and scattered x-rays. This equation takes into account the energy and momentum conservation laws.

What factors affect the amount of Compton Shift in scattering?

The amount of Compton Shift observed in scattering is affected by several factors including the energy of the incident x-rays, the atomic number of the material, and the angle of scattering. Higher energy x-rays and materials with higher atomic numbers will result in a larger Compton Shift. Additionally, the Compton Shift is larger at larger scattering angles.

What is the significance of the Compton Shift in x-ray scattering experiments?

The Compton Shift is an important phenomenon in x-ray scattering experiments as it provides information about the structure of materials at the atomic level. By measuring the change in energy and wavelength of the scattered x-rays, scientists can determine the composition and arrangement of atoms in a material. This information is crucial in fields such as materials science, crystallography, and medicine.

How does the Compton Shift differ from the photoelectric effect?

The Compton Shift and the photoelectric effect are two different phenomena that occur when x-rays interact with matter. In the photoelectric effect, the incident x-rays transfer all of their energy to an electron, causing it to be ejected from the material. On the other hand, the Compton Shift describes the decrease in energy of scattered x-rays due to the interaction with electrons in the material. Both phenomena are important in understanding how x-rays interact with matter.