Compute the distance between the Earth and the Moon

In summary, the conversation discussed a solution for finding the distance between the centers of the Earth and moon assuming a circular orbit with a period of 27.3 days. The solution involved the use of algebra and resulted in a numerical answer that was checked for accuracy. The use of algebra was praised for its ability to simplify calculations and avoid errors.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

14.99 Assuming that the orbit of the moon around the Earth is a circle (its
eccentricity is actually 0.055), and knowing that the period of the orbit is 27.3
days, compute the distance in kilometres between the centers of the Earth and moon.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Pytels_Dynamics123.jpg

Can you check my solution?

Attachments

• Pytels_Dynamics123.jpg
    Pytels_Dynamics123.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 306
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever heard of a thing called "algebra"?

PeroK said:
Have you ever heard of a thing called "algebra"?
Well, 240,000 miles is about 384,000 km, so the answer looks close to right. Are you seeing algebra errors?

berkeman said:
Well, 240,000 miles is about 384,000 km, so the answer looks close to right. Are you seeing algebra errors?
The numerical answer looks correct. It just looks like "plug and chug" gone mad to me.

It would have been nice to see a formula for ##r## in terms of ##G,M, T##.

Am I expecting too much?

Ah, got it. Yeah, I only checked the final answer because I was having some trouble following his equations and work. Nice job converting units, though... :smile:

@Alexanddros81 your solution is neat, tidy and logical. But, algebra was invented - among other things - to avoid working with many lines of ten digit numbers.

If there were an error in your arithmetic it would be difficult to track down.

Likes berkeman

What is the distance between the Earth and the Moon?

The average distance between the Earth and the Moon is approximately 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers).

How is the distance between the Earth and the Moon calculated?

The distance between the Earth and the Moon is calculated by measuring the average distance between the centers of both objects. This is known as the Earth-Moon distance or lunar distance.

What factors affect the distance between the Earth and the Moon?

The distance between the Earth and the Moon can vary due to several factors, including the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, the elliptical orbit of the Moon, and the Earth's own rotation and tilt.

Why does the distance between the Earth and the Moon change?

The distance between the Earth and the Moon changes because the Moon's orbit around the Earth is not a perfect circle. As the Moon moves closer to the Earth, it speeds up and its distance decreases. As it moves farther away, it slows down and its distance increases.

How long does it take for light to travel between the Earth and the Moon?

Light travels at a speed of approximately 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second). Therefore, it takes about 1.3 seconds for light to travel from the Earth to the Moon.