Compute the optical gain of a quantum well

In summary, the conversation is about someone's personal project involving computing the optical gain of a semiconductor quantum well. They have been using a paper as a reference but have been unable to successfully complete the computation. They have also shared their Matlab code on GitHub and are seeking help to find a place or resource that can provide a complete explanation or script for this computation. There is also a discussion about unit conversions and potential errors in the code.
Dj1312
TL;DR Summary
Search to compute gain of a quantum well. Stuck with maths or programming.
Summary: Search to compute gain of a quantum well. Stuck with maths or programming.

Hi everyone !

For a personal project, I search to compute the optical gain occurring on a semiconductor quantum well. I have based my calculations on a paper called
Investigation and comparison of optical gain spectra of (Al,In)GaN laser diodes emitting in the 375 nm to 470 nm spectral range. But unfortunately, I can not achieve the gain computation. I put also my Matlab code on https://github.com/Dj1312/qw_gain_simulation.

My questions are the following :
- did someone now a place/book where I can found a complete explanation of how to compute such a gain ? (maybe even a script !)
- if not, can someone quickly see if there is a mistake in the paper.
I try since a lot of days using different ressources, but I always find wrong results…

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dj1312.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is hard to say because the code is pretty hard to read. How far have you verified that the individual steps work?
I suggest that you either convert all units to eV and equivalents or Joules and equivalents at some point in the beginning and then stick to it. Moving back and forth in every new equation and function is bound to lead to disaster. The first thing I noticed at a quick glance is that in the function fun_G_hom there is a sech, where you divide a difference in frequencies in Hz by a linewidth in electronvolts. This will obviously give incorrect results. There may be more similar errors, but it will be tiresome to find them the way the code is written right now.

1. What is a quantum well?

A quantum well is a semiconductor structure that is designed to confine electrons in a narrow region, typically in the nanometer scale. This confinement leads to unique quantum mechanical properties and allows for control of electronic states.

2. How is the optical gain of a quantum well calculated?

The optical gain of a quantum well is calculated by taking the difference between the rate of stimulated emission and the rate of absorption. This can be expressed as a function of the material properties and the number of electrons in the well.

3. What factors affect the optical gain of a quantum well?

The optical gain of a quantum well is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the well, the number of electrons in the well, the size and shape of the well, and the energy levels of the confined electrons.

4. How does the optical gain of a quantum well relate to its potential applications?

The optical gain of a quantum well is a critical factor in determining its potential applications. A high optical gain can lead to efficient light emission, making quantum wells useful in devices such as lasers and light emitting diodes (LEDs).

5. Can the optical gain of a quantum well be tuned or controlled?

Yes, the optical gain of a quantum well can be tuned or controlled by adjusting the material properties, the number of electrons in the well, and the size and shape of the well. This allows for customization of the optical gain for specific applications.