Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's dilemma of whether to pursue a Computer Science or Computer and Information Engineering degree. They have asked for advice on which degree would be more beneficial for their programming career and if having a Computer Engineering degree would limit their job opportunities. The conversation also touches on the value of practical experience and the potential insignificance of a diploma in the field of computer programming. Ultimately, the individual is unsure of the best course of action and is seeking guidance from others.
MrDocat
Sorry for yet another topic on the subject, but my question is very objective.

I don't know which one I choose. I'm a programmer with 10 years of experience so I like it and want a degree about it, not hardware. Artificial intelligence, data mining, algorithms and so on. So you'd say CS. The problem is: I've asked people on it, at my university (UFRJ), and they say it's actually mostly programming. And the name of the degree is actually "Computer and Information Engineering".

So my questions are, basically:
1. Does Computer Engineering still pay more?
2. Can I apply to CS jobs (Facebook, Google etc) having a CE degree?
3. Is that degree actually oriented towards programming? Please, look it: http://goo.gl/SNphH (use Chrome's translator)

Edit: this might help
Code:
Algorithms and Programming
Enter Eng Comput and Information
Logic Circuits
Experimental Physics I
Physics I -
Calculus I

Digital Systems
Programming Languages
Experimental Physics II
Physics II - A
Calculus II
Linear Algebra II

Data Structures
Computer Architecture
Theory of Computation
Physics III
Experimental Physics III
Calculus III

Statistics and Probabilist Mod.
Theories of Graphs
Computers and Society
Physics IV
Experimental Physics IV
Quimica EE
Calculus IV

Computational Linear Algebra
Mathematical Logic
Operating Systems
Database
Computer Networks I
Experimental Chemistry EE

Computational Intelligence
Telecommunications
Optimization
Software Engineering
Computer Networks II
Graphic Computation

High Performance Computing
Knowledge Management I
Distributed Systems
Advanced Programming

Entrepreneurship I
Construction Database
Software Quality
Graduation Project

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

Hey MrDocat.

If you have programming experience you should probably just apply for those jobs since you have real experience.

What kind of projects and domains have you worked on?

chiro, I have maintened a tibia server (online game) for a few years and have been making a programming language for the last months as well as minor projects such as sites and a tibia client.

Why you say so?

College on my country is free I should note. You think a diploma isn't worth it anymore?

I say so because if you have some solid experience, then you could apply for jobs given that experience.

Real experience and completing real projects is much more valuable than having a degree or diploma.

If you have worked on real completed projects with say half a dozen programmers and other support workers on a complex project, then going to university or college will be a waste of time for you since you would already have the experience to apply for work.

Related to Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering is a combination of hardware and software design, while computer science focuses more on software development and theory. Computer engineering involves designing and developing computer systems, while computer science focuses on the principles and algorithms behind computing.

2. What kind of skills do I need to have for a career in computer engineering or computer science?

Some of the key skills for a career in computer engineering or computer science include problem solving, critical thinking, programming languages, and knowledge of hardware and software systems. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are crucial for success in this field.

3. Are there any specific programming languages I should learn for computer engineering or computer science?

There are several popular programming languages that are commonly used in computer engineering and computer science, such as C++, Java, Python, and JavaScript. It's important to have a strong foundation in at least one programming language and be open to learning new languages as needed.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in computer engineering or computer science?

With a degree in computer engineering or computer science, you can pursue a variety of careers in industries such as software development, information technology, telecommunications, and computer systems design. Some common job titles include software engineer, web developer, network engineer, and data scientist.

5. Is it necessary to have a degree in computer engineering or computer science to work in the tech industry?

While a degree in computer engineering or computer science can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary to work in the tech industry. Many employers value practical skills and experience, so having a strong portfolio and relevant certifications can also open up opportunities in the field. However, a degree can provide a strong foundation and help you stand out in a competitive job market.