Computer or Systems Design: Which EE Track Should I Choose?

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, you can take the PE exam with either track. Companies are exactly the same. They don't see transcripts and only see the courses you put on your resume. The engineers I know don't expect graduates to know anything anyway, and expect the first year or two to be training.
Chunkysalsa
I have just finished my first semester of college so I have yet to begin working on my EE degree. However I'd like to think of the future as a source of motivation (my main problem)

At my school studying EE has two tracks, computer or systems design. Same degree but slightly different courses. As far as I know about myself (I will surely learn more as I go along) computers would be my choice.

I've always liked computers, have always worked with them, and actually have talent in the field. However I live in Jacksonville, FL and computers arn't a big field here. Every job I see (including my father's business) involves construction type deals. Where becoming a PE is my future.

So do I go for what I like or what I need.

Here is my Uni's page to see the difference.
http://www.unf.edu/ccec/engineering/academics/electrical.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chunkysalsa said:
Where becoming a PE is my future
a) You can take the PE exam with either track. Provided you've got a degree, the licensing board doesn't look at your coursework.
b) Companies are exactly the same. They don't see transcripts and only see the courses you put on your resume.
c) The engineers I know don't expect graduates to know anything anyway, and expect the first year or two to be training.

So basically, it may be in your best interest to do which ever track you feel your better suited to 'cause you'll probably get better grades if you're doing what you like. But, if you feel major pressure to do the other track, it's probably not going to hurt your job prospects much in the long run anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

I signed up for this forum back in high school when I needed help on a physics project. Decided to check it out randomly and saw some really insightful things.

This thought has been bugging me for some reason, you kinda relieved the pressure even though your answer was stuff I basically already knew. I still have a while till I even start relevant classes. I'll be taking Computer Science I next fall so I'll see how that works out for me.

Related to Computer or Systems Design: Which EE Track Should I Choose?

What is a computer or systems focus?

A computer or systems focus is a specific area of study within the field of computer science, where the focus is on understanding and developing computer systems, including hardware, software, and networks. This can include areas such as computer architecture, operating systems, and computer networks.

What skills are required for a computer or systems focus?

To have a successful career in a computer or systems focus, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, logic, and problem-solving. Additionally, strong programming skills, knowledge of computer architecture, and an understanding of computer networks are important for this field. Good communication and collaboration skills are also essential for working in this field as part of a team.

What job opportunities are available with a computer or systems focus?

There are a variety of job opportunities available with a computer or systems focus, including computer systems analyst, computer network architect, software engineer, and database administrator. Other roles can include computer and information systems manager, computer hardware engineer, and cybersecurity analyst.

What are the current trends in the computer or systems focus field?

Some of the current trends in the computer or systems focus field include the increasing use of cloud computing, the rise of artificial intelligence and machine learning, and the growing importance of cybersecurity. Other trends include the development of Internet of Things (IoT) devices and the use of big data analytics in business and technology.

How can I prepare for a career in a computer or systems focus?

To prepare for a career in a computer or systems focus, it is important to have a strong foundation in computer science and mathematics. It can also be helpful to gain practical experience through internships or projects. Staying up-to-date with current trends and technologies in the field is also essential. Networking with professionals in the field and continuously learning and improving your skills will also help you prepare for a successful career in this field.