Computing a wave function through a (non-relativistic) propagator

In summary, the non-relativistic propagator describes the probability for a particle to go from one spatial point at a certain time to a different one at a later time. The expression relating the initial wave function and the propagator is given by the integral of the product of the initial wave function and the propagator. This can be simplified using the complete-the-square trick, but there is no easier way to solve it. An alternative method is to work it out in the momentum representation, but this also involves Gauß integrals of similar complexity.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Given the non-relativistic propagator of a one-dimensional free particle

\begin{equation*}
K(x,t;x',0)=\left( \frac{m}{2 \pi i \hbar t} \right)^{1/2} \exp\left( \frac{-m(x-x')^2}{2i \hbar t}\right)
\end{equation*}

And an initial wave function (which happens to be a gaussian)

\begin{equation*}
\psi(x,0) = \left( \frac{2b}{\pi}\right)^{1/4} \exp( -b x^2)
\end{equation*}

Compute the wave function ##\Psi(x,t)## of the system
Relevant Equations
N/A
We know that the non-relativistic propagator describes the probability for a particle to go from one spatial point at certain time to a different one at a later time.

I came across an expression (lecture notes) relating ##\Psi(x,t)##, an initial wave function and the propagator. Applying the given information we get

\begin{align*}
&\Psi(x,t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx' \psi(x',0) K(x,t;x',0) \\
&= \left( \frac{2b}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}\left( \frac{m}{2\pi i\hbar t}\right)^{1/2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx' \exp(-bx'^2) \exp\left( \frac{-m(x-x')^2}{2i \hbar t}\right) \\
&= \left( \frac{2b}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}\left( \frac{m}{2\pi i\hbar t}\right)^{1/2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx' \exp\left( -bx'^{2} - \frac{mx'^{2}}{2i \hbar t} + \frac{mx'}{i \hbar t} - \frac{mx^2}{2i \hbar t} \right)
\end{align*}

Does this make sense so far?

If yes, let us deal with the computation of the integral. I was thinking of using the complete-the-square trick. Doing so, our integral becomes$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx' \exp\left( \left[x'\sqrt{\frac{-m}{2i \hbar t}-a} + \frac{m}{i \hbar t\sqrt{\frac{-m}{2i \hbar t}-a}}\right]^2 - \frac{mx^2}{2i \hbar t} -\frac{m}{(i \hbar t)^2 \left(\frac{-m}{2i \hbar t}-a\right)} \right)$$

Before continuing with such method: is there an easier way to solve it?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I fear you just have to go on.

An alternative way is to work it out in the momentum representation first, but there you again encounter Gauß integrals of comparable complexity. It's not so difficult per se but a lot to write ;-).

Likes JD_PM
Thank you @vanhees71

It is good to know that the approach is OK.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state.

2. What is a propagator in computing a wave function?

A propagator is a mathematical operator that describes how a quantum state evolves over time. In computing a wave function, the propagator is used to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another at a specific time.

3. What does it mean for a propagator to be non-relativistic?

A non-relativistic propagator is a mathematical operator that does not take into account the effects of special relativity. This means that it is only valid for particles moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

4. How is a wave function computed through a propagator?

The wave function is computed by applying the propagator operator to the initial wave function at a specific time. This results in a new wave function that describes the state of the particle at a later time.

5. What is the significance of computing a wave function through a propagator?

Computing a wave function through a propagator allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems over time. It is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding and making predictions about the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.