Computing Statistical Distributions: A Practical Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods of computing statistical tables, particularly for cumulative distributions and their inverses for the standard normal and both central and noncentral chi squares. The use of curve fitting and regression analysis is also mentioned as an alternative to using the tables. The topic of determining the number of data points needed for a desired false positive rate is brought up, with the mention of potential issues with normal and nonlinear Chi square approximations. The conversation ends with a suggestion of using Mathematica for computing the tables.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How does one go about actually computing various statistical tables, rather than looking them up?

Things of interest at the moment are the cumulative distributions and their inverses, for the standard normal and both central and noncentral chi squares.

Physics news on Phys.org
I typically resort to curve fitting (regression analysis) rather than using the tables overall, basic (nonlinear) least squares and maximum likelihood methods for one work pretty well for most common distributions.

I don't know if I can use that for my purposes... one of the particular questions I'd like to answer is how many data points I need for the false positive rate of my test to be less than 2-20. (And I might be being conservative on just how small I want the rate)

Actually... now that I think about it, I might be outside the domain where the normal approximation is reasonable for my simpler test. (or a nonlinear Chi square approximation for the more complicated test) Blech.

Anyways, the simpler test was testing a sample mean for being nonzero, when the statistic is approximately normally distributed with variance 1. The more complicated one was the same spirit, except I was summing squares of many of these statistics.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
How does one go about actually computing various statistical tables, rather than looking them up?

Things of interest at the moment are the cumulative distributions and their inverses, for the standard normal and both central and noncentral chi squares.

Do you have access to Mathematica? That's what I'd use.

Related to Computing Statistical Distributions: A Practical Guide

What is a distribution in computing?

A distribution in computing refers to a collection of software that is bundled together and distributed as a complete package. It typically includes an operating system, software libraries, and other tools necessary for running programs on a computer.

Why are distributions important in computing?

Distributions are important in computing because they provide a standardized and efficient way to install and manage software on a computer. They also ensure compatibility between different software components and help to simplify the development and deployment of programs.

What is the difference between a binary and source distribution?

A binary distribution contains pre-compiled executable files that are ready to be run on a computer, while a source distribution contains the source code that must be compiled before it can be executed. Binary distributions are generally easier to install, while source distributions offer more flexibility and customization options.

What are some popular distributions in computing?

Some popular distributions in computing include Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, and Fedora for Linux operating systems, and macOS and Windows for desktop operating systems. Other popular distributions include Android for mobile devices and Apache Hadoop for big data processing.

How do I choose the right distribution for my needs?

The right distribution for your needs will depend on the specific requirements of your project or use case. Factors to consider include the target platform, hardware and software requirements, desired level of customization, and support and community resources available. It can be helpful to do research and consult with other users or experts to determine the best fit for your needs.