COMSOL Multiphysics- Mathematics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of modeling the Radiative Transfer equation on COMSOL. The speaker is having trouble defining the integral term, which includes scattering, and making the functions dependent on three variables (position, time, and direction vector). Other participants suggest using a different approach and provide a resource for reference. The speaker agrees and plans to read the resource before getting back to the group.
shar333
TL;DR Summary
Mathematics module of COMSOL
Hi everyone, Has anyone tried to model Radiative Transfer equation on comsol? I am stuck at defining the integral term which includes scattering. Also , how do i make my functions have 3 variable dependence as RTE has dependence on position, time and direction vector

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @shar333; welcome aboard the Physics Forums -- can you please tell us the specifics of the problem that you're trying to solve, and show us your attempt at solving it? -- if you do that, and you're thereafter still encountering difficulties, we'll try to be of assistance . . .

Last edited:
Likes shar333
I want to model this equation
rte.PNG

I used Coefficient form PDE.
1628848642074.png

but i am not sure how to define s^ (direction vector)
not able to define the integration either.

how do i add integral terms to differential equations?

how can i make my function dependent on 3 variables(s, r and t)

shar333 said:
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks
After you've read it, please get back to us -- thanks . . .

What is COMSOL Multiphysics?

COMSOL Multiphysics is a software platform that allows for the simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena using mathematical models. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry to design and optimize products, processes, and systems.

What are the key features of COMSOL Multiphysics?

Some of the key features of COMSOL Multiphysics include its ability to handle multiphysics problems, its user-friendly interface, its extensive library of built-in physics models, and its flexibility to customize and create new models. It also offers advanced solvers and visualization tools for accurate and comprehensive analysis.

What types of mathematical models can be simulated using COMSOL Multiphysics?

COMSOL Multiphysics supports a wide range of mathematical models, including heat transfer, fluid flow, structural mechanics, electromagnetics, and chemical reactions. It also allows for the coupling of multiple physics models to simulate complex phenomena.

What are the benefits of using COMSOL Multiphysics in research and development?

COMSOL Multiphysics offers a cost-effective and time-efficient way to test and optimize designs and processes without the need for physical prototypes. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying physics and can aid in the discovery of new insights and solutions.

Is COMSOL Multiphysics suitable for beginners?

While COMSOL Multiphysics is a powerful tool, it does require some level of mathematical and engineering knowledge to use effectively. However, the software offers extensive documentation, tutorials, and support to help beginners get started and develop their skills.