Simulation with COMSOL - uniform pressure

In summary, to plot the pressure distribution on a cut plane of a cube in COMSOL, you will need to define a 2D surface in the CAD model and then use a Variables node to define the pressure expression. This will allow the pressure to appear in the available plots in the Results section. You can then use the Plot Parametric Lines tool to visualize the pressure distribution on the cut plane.
leo92ra
Hi, anyone using COMSOL?
I'm new to this program and I'm trying to get a plot of the pressure distribution on a cut-plane of a cube. I have applied a boundary load of 4 MPa to the upper surface of the cube and fixed constraint to the bottom surface of the cube. Now, as a check, when plotting solid.pm at the upper surface, the pressure is not uniform and is around 3MPa at the centre. So, I think I'm not plotting the right function as I specifically told the program to apply a uniform pressure of 4MPa at the surface. What expression should I put to plot the pressure and how can I make it appear in the available plot list? I've tried also solid.pm and solid.cp, which are the only expressions available in the list, but they too give a wrong result. I've tried adding the pressure as a variable in the definitions, so that it should appear in the list of available plots in the result, but I don't know what to insert in the Expression space in Variables node. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks, Leonardo.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In order to plot the pressure distribution on a cut plane of a cube, you will need to define a 2D surface in the CAD model. You can then use a Variables node to define the pressure expression. To do this, go to Model Builder > Variables > Add Variable and select "Pressure" from the drop-down list. In the Expression box, type in the expression for the pressure (e.g. 4 MPa). Once you have completed this step, the pressure should appear in the available plots in the Results section. You can then use the Plot Parametric Lines tool to visualize the pressure distribution on the cut plane. To do this, select the surface you want to analyze and go to Model Builder > Plot Parametric Lines > Add Parametric Line. This will create a parametric line on the surface you selected. You can then change the settings of the line in the Property Manager to get the desired results. I hope this helps!

1. What is COMSOL?

COMSOL is a software platform used for multiphysics simulation, allowing scientists and engineers to model and analyze various physical phenomena using different mathematical models and numerical methods.

2. What is meant by "simulation with uniform pressure" in COMSOL?

In COMSOL, simulation with uniform pressure refers to a type of simulation where a constant pressure is applied uniformly throughout the model. This can be used to study the effects of pressure on a system or to optimize designs for pressure-based applications.

3. How does COMSOL handle uniform pressure simulations?

COMSOL uses its finite element method (FEM) solver to solve the governing equations for the system under uniform pressure conditions. The FEM solver discretizes the model into smaller elements and then solves the equations numerically to obtain the desired results.

4. What are the benefits of using COMSOL for uniform pressure simulations?

COMSOL offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of built-in physics models and solvers, making it easy for scientists and engineers to set up and run simulations. It also allows for parametric studies and optimization, making it a powerful tool for design and analysis.

5. Can COMSOL handle non-uniform pressure simulations?

Yes, COMSOL can handle non-uniform pressure simulations by using its built-in tools for defining and applying varying pressure conditions. This allows for more realistic and accurate simulations that better represent real-world scenarios.