COMSOL - Preventing a moving mesh from stretching in COMSOL simulation

In summary, it is possible to use re-meshing or adaptive meshing when modeling the induced current from a moving magnet in a coil to prevent stretching of the mesh. Additionally, using a structured mesh or taking advantage of symmetry can also help reduce the amount of mesh elements needed for the simulation.
Steradiant
TL;DR Summary
In the tutorial for modeling the induced current from a moving magnet, the mesh in the moving domain stretches. How can I prevent this for bigger displacements?
Hello,

I followed the following example for modeling the induced current from a moving magnet in a coil https://www.comsol.com/support/lear...-from-Moving-a-Magnet-Through-a-Coil-9871/112
If I have a bigger model with a bigger displacement of the magnet, I can imagine that the stretching of the mesh can get disadvantageous. How can I prevent this stretching? E.g. Re-Mesh after some timesteps or some kind of periodic meshing? Or I could also imagine a adaptive mesh refinement for each time step (or something like that).

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you in advance.It is possible to use re-meshing at certain intervals or use an adaptive meshing scheme when modeling the induced current from a moving magnet in a coil. Re-meshing involves remeshing the domain after a certain number of time steps, while adaptive meshing can dynamically refine the mesh in areas of rapid change.In addition, you can also use a structured mesh instead of an unstructured mesh to reduce stretching. This can be done by setting up a Cartesian mesh with a grid spacing that is suitable for your problem. Structured meshes are better suited for problems involving high velocities or large displacements since they are more efficient in terms of memory usage and computation time. Finally, you can also use symmetry or other geometric simplifications to reduce the amount of mesh elements needed for the simulation. This can be done by taking advantage of the symmetry of your model, or by using a surface mesh to represent the curved surfaces of the coil. We hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

1. How can I prevent a moving mesh from stretching in a COMSOL simulation?

In order to prevent a moving mesh from stretching in a COMSOL simulation, you can use a feature called "Mesh Control". This allows you to specify the maximum element size and growth rate, ensuring that the mesh does not stretch beyond these parameters.

2. Can I adjust the mesh control settings during the simulation?

Yes, you can adjust the mesh control settings during the simulation by using the "Adaptive Meshing" feature. This allows the mesh to be refined or coarsened based on the solution and user-defined criteria.

3. How do I know if my mesh is stretching too much?

You can use the "Mesh Quality" feature to check the quality of your mesh. This will provide information on the element size and distortion, allowing you to identify any areas where the mesh may be stretching too much.

4. What are some common causes of mesh stretching in COMSOL simulations?

Mesh stretching can occur due to a variety of reasons, including incorrect boundary conditions, high aspect ratio elements, and large deformations of the geometry. It is important to carefully consider these factors when setting up your simulation to prevent mesh stretching.

5. Are there any other methods for preventing mesh stretching in COMSOL?

Yes, there are other methods for preventing mesh stretching in COMSOL simulations, such as using the "Mesh Smoothing" feature or applying constraints to the mesh. It is recommended to explore these options and determine which method works best for your specific simulation.