COMSOL: Why does the prescribed displacement stop at a certain point?

In summary, the speaker has experimented with producing strain on an object by applying a prescribed displacement and setting it to a certain value. However, no matter how extreme the value for the prescribed displacement, the strain does not exceed 2.18[um]. The speaker has also tried using an applied force, but the result is still the same. They are wondering why the object is not stretching more, considering it is made of a rubber-like material. They suggest making sure that plots are refreshed and using the correct data source, and possibly creating the plots from scratch.
uppityd
sensor.PNG

I have been experimenting in producing some strain to this object. However, after applying a prescribed displacement and setting it to a certain value, it does not exceed 2.18[um] no matter any extreme value for the prescribed displacement.

I have also experimented with an applied force as well and the result is still the same?

Is there any ideas why the object would not stretch as much? considering this is a very rubber like material that I have assigned.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Make sure that plots are refreshed after subsequent runs and that they use the correct data source (solution). Maybe create the plots from scratch.

1. Why does the prescribed displacement stop at a certain point?

The prescribed displacement in COMSOL stops at a certain point because it is limited by the boundary conditions set by the user. These boundary conditions define the extent and direction of the displacement, and once it reaches the specified limit, it will stop.

2. Can I change the point at which the prescribed displacement stops?

Yes, you can change the point at which the prescribed displacement stops by adjusting the boundary conditions. You can either increase or decrease the displacement limit or change the direction of the displacement to a different point.

3. What happens if I do not specify a stopping point for the prescribed displacement?

If you do not specify a stopping point for the prescribed displacement, it will continue to displace until it reaches the edge of the model or until it encounters a boundary condition that stops it. This can lead to unrealistic results and should be avoided.

4. How do I know if the prescribed displacement has reached the stopping point?

You can monitor the displacement in the results section of COMSOL. If the displacement reaches the specified limit, it will remain constant at that point. You can also check the boundary conditions to see if they have been reached.

5. Can I use multiple stopping points for the prescribed displacement?

Yes, you can use multiple stopping points for the prescribed displacement by creating multiple boundary conditions with different displacement limits. This can be useful for modeling complex systems where different parts may have different displacement limits.