How to Solve a Variation of the Concentrating Salt Tank Problem?

In summary: V\frac{dC}{dt}=C\left(1-e^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in}t}{m_{system}}}\right)+C$$$$C\left(1-e^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in}t}{m_{system}}}\right)=C\left(\frac{1}{m_{system}}\right)+C$$$$C=C+C$$$$C=C+C=C+C$$Thus, the concentration of salt in the tank at any given time is constant.
Smed
I have a variation on the concentrating tank problem that I'm having a bit of trouble solving. I have a tank of 10 kg of pure water at time 0. I add a time dependent concentration of salt and remove the same volume of pure water so that the tank volume never changes. Once the tank has 1 kg of salt, I stop the problem. So unlike the typical problem where I have a known initial concentration, I instead have a target final concentration, but the time of that final concentration is unknown in that it depends on the flow rate.

$$ \frac{dm_{salt}}{dt} = in - out $$
There's no salt exiting, so it becomes,
$$ \frac{dm_{salt}}{dt} = \dot{m}_{in} \frac{m_{salt}(t)}{m_{tank}} $$
Separate the variables and integrate to get
$$ln(m_{salt}) = \frac{\dot{m}_{in} t}{m_{tank}} + C$$
$$m_{salt}(t) = Ae^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in} t}{m_{tank}}}$$

Now I need an initial condition to get the particular solution, but I can't use
$$m_{salt}(0) = 0$$
and I'm not sure how to use my knowledge of the final concentration, since I don't know what time it will occur.

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're removing only pure water? If so, the problem is pretty trivial. You would just calculate what volume of salt solution added that contains 1 kg of salt. It has nothing to do with the tank, etc. It only depends on the concentration of the incoming solution.

Likes berkeman
Your response made me realize I was missing part of the picture. There's also the rest of the loop (including a pool) which contains all of the salt at time zero. I tried solving the problem from the perspective of the pool concentration depleting rather than the tank concentration accumulating. I then took the inverse as the rate of accumulation in the tank, which seems to give the right answer. I've attached some notes on my thought process.

$$m_{salt}(t) = m_0 \left(1-e^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in}t}{m_{system}}}\right)$$

Is this how it's supposed to be done?

Thanks.

Attachments

• CCF06082015_0001.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 204
Smed said:
I have a variation on the concentrating tank problem that I'm having a bit of trouble solving. I have a tank of 10 kg of pure water at time 0. I add a time dependent concentration of salt and remove the same volume of pure water so that the tank volume never changes. Once the tank has 1 kg of salt, I stop the problem. So unlike the typical problem where I have a known initial concentration, I instead have a target final concentration, but the time of that final concentration is unknown in that it depends on the flow rate.

$$ \frac{dm_{salt}}{dt} = in - out $$
There's no salt exiting, so it becomes,
$$ \frac{dm_{salt}}{dt} = \dot{m}_{in} \frac{m_{salt}(t)}{m_{tank}} $$
Separate the variables and integrate to get
$$ln(m_{salt}) = \frac{\dot{m}_{in} t}{m_{tank}} + C$$
$$m_{salt}(t) = Ae^{\frac{\dot{m}_{in} t}{m_{tank}}}$$

Now I need an initial condition to get the particular solution, but I can't use
$$m_{salt}(0) = 0$$
and I'm not sure how to use my knowledge of the final concentration, since I don't know what time it will occur.

Your help is appreciated.

I cannot make any sense of your solution, in part because you never define your terms. Exactly what are ##m##, ##m_{salt}(t)##, ##m_{tank}##, etc.? Also, if ##\dot{m}_{in}## is a constant, your DE solution is correct, but not if ##\dot{m}_{in}## depends on ##t##. Depending on exactly what your ##m##-variables mean, the DE itself may not even be correct.

Let C be the concentration of salt in the tank and Cin represent the concentration of salt in the inlet stream. Let V be the volume of the tank and f be the volumetric flow rate into and out of the tank. Then,
$$V\frac{dC}{dt}=fC_{in}$$
Chet

1. What is a concentrating salt tank?

A concentrating salt tank is a large, specialized container used in the process of desalination to increase the salinity of seawater before it enters the distillation or reverse osmosis stage. It is also referred to as a brine tank.

2. How does a concentrating salt tank work?

In a concentrating salt tank, seawater is pumped in and allowed to evaporate in the tank, leaving behind a concentrated solution of saltwater, or brine. This brine is then fed into the next stage of the desalination process, where it is further treated to remove the remaining salt and produce fresh water.

3. What is the purpose of a concentrating salt tank?

The purpose of a concentrating salt tank is to increase the salinity of seawater so that the next stage of the desalination process can be more efficient. By removing a larger amount of salt in the concentrating tank, the subsequent stages can focus on removing smaller amounts, resulting in a higher overall water yield.

4. How is the salinity level in a concentrating salt tank controlled?

The salinity level in a concentrating salt tank is controlled through a variety of methods, including adjusting the flow rate of seawater into the tank, monitoring the temperature and humidity inside the tank, and adding or removing salt as needed. Most concentrating salt tanks also have sensors and automated systems to help maintain the desired salinity level.

5. What are the benefits of using a concentrating salt tank in the desalination process?

Using a concentrating salt tank in the desalination process has several benefits, including reducing the energy consumption of the subsequent stages, increasing the overall water yield, and reducing the amount of waste produced. It also allows for more efficient operation of the desalination plant and can help lower the cost of producing fresh water from seawater.