Concentration of electrolyte for the electrolysis of water?

In summary: Which is not only dangerous but also inefficient. The higher the voltage the more energy is wasted as heat.
Cheesycheese213
I'm doing an experiment with the electrolysis of water, and I'm hoping to vary the electrolyte concentration (Epsom salt/MgSO4) to see changes in the rate of gas production.

I was planning to just do intervals from no salt to maximum solubility, but was wondering whether there might be any safety concerns or ways the experiment might be unsuccessful? From two example labs online, I saw that there was generally a 17:1 ish ratio of water to the salt, but I wasn't sure if that was just because the rate was good for experiments, or if there is something I might need to be worried about at higher concentrations?

Thanks! :D

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nothing comes to mind - I mean there are some inherent dangers when dealing with hydrogen and oxygen produced, there are some obvious problems with electricity, but they don't depend on the electrolyte concentration and in general Epsom salt is reasonably safe. Standard lab precautions and you should be good.

Likes Cheesycheese213
Borek said:
Nothing comes to mind - I mean there are some inherent dangers when dealing with hydrogen and oxygen produced, there are some obvious problems with electricity, but they don't depend on the electrolyte concentration and in general Epsom salt is reasonably safe. Standard lab precautions and you should be good.
Okay, thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :)

Borek said:
Does electrolyte concentration affect the rate of reaction? Since the electrolysis of water is only possible in the presence of electricity, wouldn't a more conductive solution would require less voltage to achieve the same amperage?

Mayhem said:
Does electrolyte concentration affect the rate of reaction?

Yes, according to Faraday's laws the rate is proportional to the current.

• Informative
Likes Mayhem
DrStupid said:
Yes, according to Faraday's laws the rate is proportional to the current.
Ah yes, thank you for reminding me of those equations.

Mayhem said:
Does electrolyte concentration affect the rate of reaction? Since the electrolysis of water is only possible in the presence of electricity, wouldn't a more conductive solution would require less voltage to achieve the same amperage?

Sure thing, but the question was about dangers involved and changes in concentration don't make the process more or less dangerous (at least as long as we don't deal with ultra pure, 18MΩ water, which requires extreme voltages).

Borek said:
18MΩ water, which requires extreme voltages

Which is not only dangerous but also inefficient. The higher the voltage the more energy is wasted as heat.

1. What is the purpose of electrolysis of water?

The purpose of electrolysis of water is to separate the water molecule (H2O) into its constituent elements, hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O2), through the use of electricity.

2. How does the concentration of electrolyte affect the electrolysis of water?

The concentration of electrolyte, which is a substance that conducts electricity when dissolved in water, can affect the rate of electrolysis. A higher concentration of electrolyte can increase the conductivity of the water, allowing for a faster rate of electrolysis.

3. What is the ideal concentration of electrolyte for the electrolysis of water?

The ideal concentration of electrolyte for the electrolysis of water varies depending on the type of electrolyte used and the specific conditions of the experiment. Generally, a concentration of 1-2% of the electrolyte in water is recommended for efficient electrolysis.

4. How does the type of electrolyte used affect the electrolysis of water?

The type of electrolyte used can also affect the rate of electrolysis. Some electrolytes, such as sodium chloride (salt), can produce faster electrolysis compared to others. The type of electrolyte used can also determine the products of electrolysis.

5. Can the concentration of electrolyte be too high for the electrolysis of water?

Yes, a concentration of electrolyte that is too high can actually decrease the rate of electrolysis. This is because a high concentration of electrolyte can create too much resistance, making it difficult for the electric current to pass through the solution. It is important to find the right balance of electrolyte concentration for efficient electrolysis.