Concentrations at equilibrium (strong base weak acid)

In summary, the concentrations at equilibrium do not add up to the initial concentration because the reaction produces more than what was initially added.
Mr-Thirty
TL;DR Summary
Why do my concentrations at equilibrium not add up to my initial amount?
So my professor covered acids and bases recently, and this is how he presented the method (please see attached word document). I believe its the same as the I.C.E method, though I am not sure. Anyways my problem is perhaps conceptual, but I don't understand why the concentrations at equilibrium don't add up to the amount added in the first place. The first step is to calculate the initial concentrations for the acetic acid at equilibrium by finding alpha. Once you have alpha you can plug it into the table to find the concentrations. I thought id check that the concentrations at equilibrium added up to 0.1M but they add up to more. Where am I going wrong here?

Attachments

• pH Titration strong base weak acid(1).docx
    24.1 KB · Views: 247
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think I understand what might be confusing you but if otherwise please let me know.

With your first ICE table, you have c0 of acetic acid before the reversible reaction begins. Now your reaction equation tells you that 1 mole of acetic acid reacts with 1 mole of water to produce 1 mole of ethanoate ions and 1 mole of hydronium ions. The volume is constant so it is fine to use concentrations from now on.

If the proportion of acetic acid which reacts is [itex]\alpha[/itex], then as is stated your equilibrium concentration of acetic acid is [itex](1-\alpha)c_{0}[/itex], since [itex]\alpha c_{0}[/itex] of acetic acid has reacted. Now according to the equation, [itex]\alpha c_{0}[/itex] of acetic acid reacts to produce [itex]\alpha c_{0}[/itex] of ethanoate and [itex]\alpha c_{0}[/itex] of hydronium.

You are entirely correct that the final concentrations do not add up to the initial concentration; this is perfectly fine - consider the following reaction:

[itex]A \rightarrow B + C[/itex]

The equation tells us the ratio of moles: 1 mole of A reacts to produce 1 mole of B and 1 mole of C. If we start with 10 moles of A, we will end up with 10 moles of B and 10 of C - which adds up to 20 moles!

The important point is that in a chemical reaction, it is not the number of moles (and by extension concentration) which is conserved, since molecules can split up and do all sorts of stuff (perhaps imagine a decomposition reaction where a molecule might split into two equal fragments, we'll end up with twice as many molecules at the end). What is conserved in a chemical reaction is mass.

If you calculate the total mass at the start and end using the [itex]M_{r}[/itex] of each compound then hopefully the mass will have been conserved (!).

Likes nofluxgiven and Mr-Thirty
Thank you so much, I knew there was a concept that I didnt quite understand. Really appreciate you typing out a thorough response :)

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the definition of a strong base and weak acid?

A strong base is a substance that completely dissociates in water, producing hydroxide ions (OH-) and a cation. A weak acid, on the other hand, only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a mixture of undissociated acid molecules and their corresponding ions.

2. How does a strong base and weak acid react to form a concentration at equilibrium?

In a solution containing a strong base and weak acid, the base will react with the acid to form a salt and water. This reaction will continue until the concentration of the reactants and products reach a state of equilibrium, where the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates.

3. What factors can affect the concentrations at equilibrium for a strong base and weak acid reaction?

The concentrations at equilibrium can be affected by the initial concentrations of the reactants, the temperature of the reaction, and the presence of any catalysts. Additionally, the strength of the acid and base can also impact the equilibrium concentrations.

4. How do you calculate the equilibrium constant for a strong base and weak acid reaction?

The equilibrium constant, also known as Keq, is calculated by dividing the concentration of the products by the concentration of the reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its respective coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. For a strong base and weak acid reaction, the concentration of water is typically omitted from the equation.

5. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant for a strong base and weak acid reaction?

The equilibrium constant provides information about the relative concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. A larger Keq value indicates that the reaction favors the formation of products, while a smaller value indicates that the reaction favors the formation of reactants. The value of Keq can also be used to determine the direction in which the reaction will proceed to reach equilibrium.