Concentric charged spheres work

Therefore, it is sufficient to use this equation to find the total work required. In summary, the correct approach to finding the work required to put together two concentric spheres with charges -q and +q, and radii Ra and Rb, is to use the equation $\frac{\epsilon}{2}\int_{r_a}^{r_b} E^{2} d^{3}r$.
EngageEngage
I have a problem that I am not sure I am working correctly.

There are 2 concentric spheres, the inner of charge -q and radius Ra and outer of charge +q and radius Rb. I am to find the work that is required to put together these two spheres in such a way.

Is it enough to find the energy stored in the electric field between them, or would this be incorrect? I guess this would be the same as the energy stored in a spherical capacitor like this.

[tex] \frac{\epsilon}{2}\int_{r_a}^{r_b} E^{2} d^{3}r [/tex]

Or, do I have to find first the energy to assemble the inner sphere, and then the outer sphere, and then the work required to bring them together?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct approach is to find the energy stored in the electric field between them. The energy stored in a spherical capacitor like this can be found using the equation that you provided: $\frac{\epsilon}{2}\int_{r_a}^{r_b} E^{2} d^{3}r$. This equation takes into account both the energy required to assemble the inner and outer spheres, as well as the work required to bring them together.

1. What is the concept of concentric charged spheres work?

The concept of concentric charged spheres work refers to the process of calculating the electric potential and electric field between two or more charged spheres with a common center. This can be used to model various physical systems, such as capacitors and charged particles.

2. How is the electric potential and electric field calculated for concentric charged spheres?

The electric potential is calculated by summing the potentials due to each individual charge on the spheres. The electric field is then found by taking the negative gradient of the electric potential. Both of these calculations use the Coulomb's Law equation, which takes into account the distance between the charges and their magnitudes.

3. What are the assumptions made in the concentric charged spheres model?

The concentric charged spheres model assumes that the spheres are perfectly conducting and have a uniform charge distribution. It also assumes that the spheres are isolated from external electric fields and that the charges are stationary.

4. What are some real-life applications of concentric charged spheres work?

Concentric charged spheres work has many practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to design and analyze capacitors, model the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, and understand the electric field and potential in biological systems.

5. How does the distance between the spheres affect the electric potential and electric field?

The distance between the spheres has a significant impact on the electric potential and electric field. As the distance decreases, the electric potential increases, and the electric field becomes stronger. This relationship follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the potential and field decrease rapidly as the distance between the spheres increases.