Control Theory (EE): How to set up a transmittance given wn only?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up a second-order plant transmittance with only two pieces of information given: one pole at ωn = 0 and the other pole at ωn = 2. The conversation also delves into the process of drawing a pole-zero plot, finding the transfer function, and breaking it down into natural and forced components. The expert summarizer also mentions their initial difficulty in setting up the plant transmittance, but eventually arrives at a solution that satisfies the given information. The final conclusion is that the system is overdamped with two real poles at the origin and -2.
CDTOE

Homework Statement

How do we set up a second-order plant transmittance with the only information available are:

One pole is at a position where the undamped natural frequency (ωn = 0 rad/sec), and the other pole is at a position where ωn = 2 rad/sec?

The question asks to build that transmittance, draw pole-zero plot, find the transfer function and break it down into natural and forced components, which are required to be plotted, given a step input. I only had trouble setting up the plant transmittance which is, unfortunately, the base of the whole solution.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

To set up the plant transmittance, I couldn't quite understand how I should do it. A second-order system will have a characteristic polynomial of the form (S2+2ωnζs+ωn2), where ζ is the damping ratio. Given this polynomial, I couldn't see how we can have two different ωn values. If one of the poles would have ωn, then the system should be underamped or undamped depending on the value of ζ. ωn = 0 would mean that the said pole is on the real axis given that there is no an oscillatory part.

Given all of that, I decided that I set up a transmittance based on mild guessing, so it was:

GP(s) = [itex]\frac{1}{s(s+2)}[/itex]

A pole at the origin and another at -2. I couldn't do anything other than doing something that at least shows that I can draw a pole-zero plot and do all what's asked.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you've given the problem statement here exactly like it was worded to you? Often people tend to post their own interpretation of the problem, which is what gives them difficulty in solving it in the first place.

For one thing, I have to admit, I've never heard of 'plant transmittance' as something which isn't synonymous with 'plant transfer function'. Your problem statement seems to indicate that determining it is something separate from determining the plant transfer function.

Isolines of natural frequency are circular arcs in the LHP with radius equal to the natural frequency, and since complex poles only come in conjugate pairs for a LTI system with real coefficients, your poles must be purely real. They must also then be located at s = 0 and s = -2, so I can't really see anything wrong with your plant transfer function. The wording of your assignment, as given, just generally seems a bit off, but that's just my opinion.

I don't remember how the problem was worded exactly, but I'm sure that the only information that were given to set up the plant (transfer function) was that there's a pole with ωn=0 rad/sec and another pole with ωn= 2 rad/sec. As for the system transfer function, it wasn't mentioned whether the system is open or closed loop, so I believe that it would be the same as the plant transfer function given that there would be no feedback (open loop system).

As for pole positions, yes, there shouldn't be a pair of complex conjugate poles given that there's a pole with ωn=0. Given all of this, I believe, like you said, that we should be having an overdamped system with two poles one at the origin and another one at -2.

7986-5-1P-i37.png

How about that?

So since you now have the plant transfer function, all is well?

With regards to the bit about having two different values of undamped natural frequency - for real poles you can just interpret the undamped natural frequency as a way to locate them along the real line, which is what you've done.

Yes, everything is good now. Thanks for help.

1. What is a transmittance in control theory?

A transmittance, also known as a transfer function, is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a control system. It describes how the system responds to changes in the input signal.

2. How is a transmittance set up in control theory?

A transmittance is typically set up using the Laplace transform, which converts the time-domain equations of a control system into the frequency domain. The transmittance is then represented as a ratio of the output to the input signal in the frequency domain.

3. What information is needed to set up a transmittance?

In order to set up a transmittance, you will need the system's transfer function or differential equation, the system's poles and zeros, and the system's input and output signals. In the case of setting up a transmittance given wn only, you will only need the natural frequency (wn) of the system.

4. How does the natural frequency (wn) affect the transmittance?

The natural frequency (wn) is a measure of how quickly the system responds to changes in the input signal. It is directly related to the system's poles, which represent the points in the frequency domain where the transmittance is undefined. The magnitude and location of the poles will determine the shape and behavior of the transmittance.

5. Can the transmittance be adjusted by changing the natural frequency (wn)?

Yes, changing the natural frequency (wn) can affect the overall behavior and response of the system. A higher natural frequency will result in a faster response, while a lower natural frequency will result in a slower response. Therefore, the natural frequency can be adjusted to optimize the performance of the control system.