Conceptual Definition of Intelligence

In summary, intelligence is a function of the relationship between the size of a computation and the scope of the computation. This simplified understanding of intelligence as organized information may neglect other definitions from physics, neurology, psychology, and linguistics. The placebo principle and Einstein's theory of general relativity are used as examples to show that our understanding of reality is subjective, and attempts to understand it objectively may be flawed. The optimal configuration of the human brain for total leadership and overall vision may be waiting for the emergence of quantum supercomputers.
Namewastaken
Summary:: We are fundamentally wrong in our understanding of what intelligence is.

Intelligence is believed to be some manner of product of the size and scope of computing. Fundamentally stupid way of thinking.

Intelligence is a function of the relationship between the size of a computation and the scope of the computation.

What I want to know, with all my curiosity...

Is the variable in that relationship we call "intelligence" a coefficient or a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Moved to General Discussion as this question does not appear to be framed within any particular area of science (and certainly not Quantum Physics, which is where it was originally posted).

Likes Evo
Ignoring the prefatory 'straw man' argument that the OP already derides; given the restricted definitions, the first phrase of the second statement seems most correct. Intelligence is a function.

The intelligence function domain is information within defined ranges and scope. Actions include data collection, retrieval, analysis, computation, sorting, storing and presentation. Measurements include size, temporal stamps, location, longevity, relevance, importance, linguistic and computation complexity, and code-decode. Organization remains a critical component.

This simplified description of intelligence as organized information might guide understanding while neglecting allied definitions from physics, neurology, psychology and linguistics.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Evo
Wow! Think of what you just said here!

The intelligence function domain is information within defined ranges and scope. Actions include data collection, retrieval, analysis, computation, sorting, storing and presentation. Measurements include size, temporal stamps, location, longevity, relevance, importance, linguistic and computation complexity, and code-decode. Organization remains a critical component.

This simplified description of intelligence as organized information might guide understanding while neglecting allied definitions from physics, neurology, psychology and linguistics.

Consider this...

If Einstein's theory of general relativity is true...
Then everything in existence is relative to everything else.
But by definition, reality is not relative.
Therefore, we do not live in reality.
Therefore, attempts to understand our existence through studying objective reality itself are fundamentally flawed.

The placebo principle proves that everything in life is relative to everything else. It proves that the power of belief can distort "imagination" in the same way that "gravity" distorts reality. It proves that what we believe to be reality is in fact a subjective experience, and again, by definition of terms, it is impossible for something that is expressed subjectively to be understood objectively. It's fundamentally impossible.

The placebo principle proves the Theory of General Relativity.

Namewastaken said:
Wow! Think of what you just said here!

Consider this...

If Einstein's theory of general relativity is true...
Then everything in existence is relative to everything else.
But by definition, reality is not relative.
Therefore, we do not live in reality.
Therefore, attempts to understand our existence through studying objective reality itself are fundamentally flawed.

The placebo principle proves that everything in life is relative to everything else. It proves that the power of belief can distort "imagination" in the same way that "gravity" distorts reality. It proves that what we believe to be reality is in fact a subjective experience, and again, by definition of terms, it is impossible for something that is expressed subjectively to be understood objectively. It's fundamentally impossible.

The placebo principle proves the Theory of General Relativity.
Your post is all over the place.

Focus on what it is you are trying to nail down.

What is intelligence? is a very broad question in terms of how to define it and the measurement of it.

This is zero to do with theories in physics, they are frame works that can be tested in certain circumstances.

Some work very well. Some are thought to be incomplete, this is nothing to do with intelligence.

Likes Klystron
"Your post is all over the place. "

This is you recognizing that you can't see the dots I'm connecting. That is you submitting to my Quantum Supremacy in a way that you can accept, whatever that happens to be.

In saying that, however I appear arrogant, and that is not my action here...

I am not a superior intelligence in any kind of absolute value terms.

I simply have the optimal configuration of the human brain for total leadership and overall vision.

All our billionaires have been waiting for the quantum supercomputer to emerge, to reveal itself, to guide them...

Namewastaken said:

I simply have the optimal configuration of the human brain for total leadership and overall vision.

All our billionaires have been waiting for the quantum supercomputer to emerge, to reveal itself, to guide them...
So what are you asking? Really?

Namewastaken said:

You have cited placebo, general relativity, intelligence, reality, quantum computers, gravity...
This is what I mean by all over the place.
I would read pf rules on what it says about personal theory and speculation also, before posting again.

"You have cited placebo, general relativity, intelligence, reality, quantum computers, gravity...
This is what I mean by all over the place.
I would read pf rules on what it says about personal theory and speculation also, before posting again. "

WHAT DOES IT TAKE

FOR A GOD

TO GET A GNAT

TO LISTEN TO ITS UNDERSTANDING OF REALITY

THAT IT SHOULD BOTHER

TRYING?

YOU DONT SEE THE CONNECTION. THAT DOESNT MEAN THOSE THINGS ARE UNRELATED. IT MEANS YOUR MIND CANT COMPUTE THE CONNECTIONS. THE SCOPE OF YOUR CANVAS IS TOO SMALL.

HOWEVER, INTELLIGENCE IS A FUNCTION OF THE RATIO BETWEEN CANVAS SIZE AND SPEED.

HAVING A SMALLER CANVAS MEANS YOU CAN WORK MUCH FASTER ON WHAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAN A QUANTUM SUPERCOMPUTER LIKE MYSELF.

GO DO YOUR SMALL THINKING. LEAVE THE BIG THINKING TO THE BIG MINDS.

THE ONLY ONE MAKING ANY KIND OF VALUE JUDGEMENT

ABOUT BIG OR SMALL

IS YOU

LOL. Well that was entertaining at least... :oldeyes:

1. What is the conceptual definition of intelligence?

The conceptual definition of intelligence refers to the understanding and ability to learn, adapt, and solve problems. It encompasses various cognitive abilities such as reasoning, problem-solving, memory, and learning from experience.

2. How is intelligence measured?

Intelligence is commonly measured through standardized tests, such as IQ tests, which assess an individual's cognitive abilities and compare them to the average performance of others in their age group. Other factors, such as creativity and emotional intelligence, may also be taken into consideration.

3. Is intelligence solely determined by genetics?

No, intelligence is influenced by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. While genetics may play a role in determining an individual's potential for intelligence, environmental factors such as education, nutrition, and social experiences also play a significant role in shaping one's intelligence.

4. Can intelligence be improved or changed?

Yes, intelligence can be improved or changed through various means such as education, training, and experiences. While an individual's potential for intelligence may be determined by genetics, one's actual intelligence can be developed and enhanced through learning and exposure to new information and experiences.

5. What are the different types of intelligence?

There are various theories and models that propose different types of intelligence, such as Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences which includes linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, and interpersonal intelligence. Other types include emotional intelligence, creative intelligence, and practical intelligence.