Conceptual question on electron flow between two types of resistors

In summary, Peter is a condensed matter physics major who is having trouble reconciling his previous understanding of voltage division and Ohm's law with the formalism of conductivity in the Drude model and non-equilibrium thermodynamics. He asks for help understanding why the current is not determined solely by the second resistor in a series, and realizes that the lower mobility of charges is compensated for by the higher voltage drop. He also asks for a paper that uses the Onsager relations for a system with two resistors.
pedda
Hey,

I have a question on resistivity. When I first studied circuits as an undergrad, I just accepted the principle of voltage division and related things they taught us. I now major in condensed matter physics and now having seen the formalism for conductivity in the Drude model and the framework of non-equilibrium thermodynamics, I somehow have trouble reconiling my knowledge from before with these formalisms and I hope that you can help me.

What I have trouble with:
When deriving Ohm's law in the Drude model, one assumes that there is a certain mean free path leading to a drift velocity that is constant throughout the entire conductor. This makes sense and I also get why, if we put a source and a sink at the ends of one conductor, the electric field is constant, drops uniformally over the entire length and the electron flow is limited by the scattering.

Now here's where things start to become confusing for me: When adding a second resistor in series, with let's say a lower drift velocity, why is the current not determined by this conductor only but by the sum of the two? When thinking of water flowing in a pipe whose diameter is reduced twice, I would assume that the total flow is limited by the part with the smallest diameter?I would be very happy to hear your thoughts!

Bye, Peter

EDIT I guess if someone could point me towards a paper where they use the Onsager relations for a system made up of two resistors would already help me a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

I think I just realized the conceptual error in my question: Since the drift velocity is of course dependent on the voltage drop occurring across the resistor, the lower mobility of charges in the part with higher resistance is compensated for by the higher voltage drop leading to the same current density just as it should be. Is this correct?

Thanks, Peter

1. How does the flow of electrons differ between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the electrons flow through each component in a single path. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the electrons have multiple paths to choose from, so the current is divided between the branches.

2. Which type of resistor would cause the flow of electrons to slow down more?

The flow of electrons is affected by the resistance of the material through which they are traveling. Therefore, the resistor with a higher resistance value would cause the electrons to slow down more.

3. Does the flow of electrons change if the resistors are connected in series or parallel?

Yes, the flow of electrons is affected by the arrangement of resistors in a circuit. In a series circuit, the flow is constant, while in a parallel circuit, the flow is divided between branches.

4. How does the flow of electrons relate to voltage and current in a circuit with different types of resistors?

The flow of electrons, or current, is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance in a circuit. This means that as the voltage increases, the current will also increase, but as the resistance increases, the current will decrease.

5. Can the flow of electrons be affected by the temperature of the resistors?

Yes, the resistance of a material can change with temperature, which can affect the flow of electrons. In general, as the temperature increases, the resistance of a material also increases, causing the flow of electrons to slow down.