Quadratic in x and linear in y problem

In summary: What if, there is an arbitrary non-zero λ such that (b'2 - 4a'c' - λ2,y1) is a point on the curve y = λx?In summary, if λ is an arbitrary non-zero number, then (b'2 - 4a'c' - λ2,y1) is a point on the curve y = λx.
baldbrain

Homework Statement

If ##x## is a rational function of ##y##, such that (ax2 + bx + c)y + (a'x2 bx' + c') = 0
prove that (ac' - a'c)2 = (ab' - a'b)(bc' -b'c)

Homework Equations

The quadratic formula

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation can be rewritten as:
(ay + a')x2 (by + b')x (cy +c') = 0
Since x is rational, the discriminant of the above quadratic in ##x## is a perfect square.
(by + b')2 - 4(ay + a')(cy + c') is a perfect square.
(b2 - 4ac)y2 + [2bb' - 4(ac' + a'c)]y + (b'2 - 4a'c') is a perfect square.
(b2 - 4ac)y2 + [2bb' - 4(ac' + a'c)]y + (b'2 - 4a'c') = λ2
,where λ is an integer
That's all I reckon. How to proceed?

Last edited:
Likes Philip Robotic
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have given the whole question?- looks incomplete to me, nothing to constrain these constants.
You seem to have forgotten a ' on last c of first line - c' ?

epenguin said:
Yes, sorry.
Fixed

epenguin said:
Are you sure you have given the whole question?- looks incomplete to me, nothing to constrain these constants.
That's it, there's no constraints to the constants. When no constraints are given, we assume them to be real numbers.

Also, I can notice an analogy. What we must prove is same as the condition for 2 separate quadratics (in x)
a1x2 + b1x + c1 = 0
&
a2x2 + b2x + c2 = 0
to have a common root, which is:
(c1a2 - c2a1)2 = (a1b2 - a2b1)(b1c2 - b2c1)
But I doubt this has anything to do with this problem.

Does the problem statement restrict a, b and c to be rational numbers ? (as opposed to real numbers)

BvU said:
Does the problem statement restrict a, b and c to be rational numbers ? (as opposed to real numbers)
No. What I've typed out is the entire problem.

baldbrain said:

Homework Statement

If ##x## is a rational function of ##y##, such that (ax2 + bx + c)y + (a'x2 bx' + c') = 0
prove that (ac' - a'c)2 = (ab' - a'b)(bc' -b'c)

Homework Equations

The quadratic formula

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation can be rewritten as:
(ay + a')x2 (by + b')x (cy +c') = 0
Since x is rational, the discriminant of the above quadratic in ##x## is a perfect square.
(by + b')2 - 4(ay + a')(cy + c') is a perfect square.
(b2 - 4ac)y2 + [2bb' - 4(ac' + a'c)]y + (b'2 - 4a'c') = λ2
,where λ is an integer
That's all I reckon. How to proceed?
I suppose you meant to have the prime symbol on b, not on x, in the second quadratic as well as a plus sign leading the b', so it would be: (a'x2 + b'x + c')

Here's an idea. I'm not sure it works.

Consider your result the discriminant.
baldbrain said:

But this is a quadratic in y. For it to be a perfect square, its discriminant must be ZERO.

See if that helps.

Added in Edit: Yup, That seems to do it !

Last edited:
baldbrain said:
Also, I can notice an analogy. What we must prove is same as the condition for 2 separate quadratics (in x)
a1x2 + b1x + c1 = 0
&
a2x2 + b2x + c2 = 0
to have a common root, which is:
(c1a2 - c2a1)2 = (a1b2 - a2b1)(b1c2 - b2c1)
But I doubt this has anything to do with this problem.

I bet it does. If the question had been find a condition for the equation to represent a pair of straight lines, wouldn't that be the answer? And you could say what they are.
At least I've found a question to your answer. :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
Likes baldbrain
SammyS said:
I suppose you meant to have the prime symbol on b, not on x, in the second quadratic as well as a plus sign leading the b', so it would be: (a'x2 + b'x + c')
Yes, sorry again:doh:

SammyS said:

Here's an idea. I'm not sure it works.

Consider your result the discriminant.But this is a quadratic in y. For it to be a perfect square, its discriminant must be ZERO.

See if that helps.

Added in Edit: Yup, That seems to do it !
Oh right, thanks!
Damn! Why did I not think this...
Thank you to @epenguin and @BvU as well.

I still have one question.
What if, there is an arbitrary non-zero λ such that (b'2 - 4a'c' - λ2,y1) is a point on the y-quadratic?

baldbrain said:
I still have one question.
What if, there is an arbitrary non-zero λ such that (b'2 - 4a'c' - λ2,y1) is a point on the y-quadratic?
I'm not sure about that at all.

Let's go back to the problem statement which states that ## \ x\ ## is a rational function of ##\ y \ ##.

I take the use of the term "rational function" to mean that ##\displaystyle \ x = \frac{P(y)}{Q(y)} \ ##, where both ##\ P(y)\ ## and ## \ Q(y) \ ## are polynomial functions of##\ y\ ##.

This being the case, I do not expect that ##\ \lambda \ ## would be a constant, let alone an integer. I hadn't given this much thought until you posed this last question.

SammyS said:
This being the case, I do not expect that ##\ \lambda \ ## would be a constant, let alone an integer. I hadn't given this much thought until you posed this last question.
If λ isn't a constant, then what we must prove isn't necessarily true?

baldbrain said:
If λ isn't a constant, then what we must prove isn't necessarily true?
No. The arguments about the discriminants still make sense. (Come to think of it, we do need to have the coefficients be integers or at least be rational numbers.)

See, if ##\ x\ ## is to be a rational function, then the solution for ##\ x\ ## can't have radical expressions in its makeup.

I admit i misunderstood the question - though I would claim, .understandably.
I had naturally misread that y is a rational function of x. Which it obviously is, in fact a 'proper rational' function, from the equation.
But if, as the question states and I understandably missed, x is also a rational function of y.*, suppose this be the ratio of two polynomials in y of degree m and n. Then substituting this rational function of y for x and clearing of fractions gives us a polynomial in y of degree (2m + 1) or 2n, whichever of these is the higher. Equated to 0, your equation is something which can be true at maximum this last number of real or nonreal complex values.

I cannot see from the statement of the problem, any constraint on what these, or the constants involved, are.

It may be possible to deduce from from the formula it is required to prove, what the question is as we often do here. I tried in #9 and am not going to try further in this case. Unless my understanding is still mistaken.

* However, the OP made so many mistranscripts that I think this needs to be verified.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
Equated to 0, your equation is something which can be true at maximum this last number of real or nonreal complex values.
I get didn't understand that. (Typos maybe)
epenguin said:
However, the OP made so many mistranscripts that I think this needs to be verified.
There's no problem there: "##x## is a rational function of ##y##"

epenguin said:
Equated to 0, your equation is something which can be true at maximum this last number of real or nonreal complex values.
Do you mean to say that, assuming b2 - 4ac < 0, (b2 - 4ac)y2 + [2bb' - 4(ac' + a'c)]y + (b'2 - 4a'c') = 0 occurs at the maxima of f(y)?

baldbrain said:
I get didn't understand that. (Typos maybe)

Which can be true at only (2m + 1) or 2n, whichever is the larger number, of values of y.

Likes baldbrain
epenguin said:
Which can be true at only (2m + 1) or 2n, whichever is the larger number, of values of y.
Ok. Thanks again

1. What is a "Quadratic in x and linear in y problem"?

A "Quadratic in x and linear in y problem" is a mathematical problem that involves a quadratic equation in terms of x and a linear equation in terms of y. This type of problem often requires solving for both x and y values to find the solution.

2. How do I know if a problem is "Quadratic in x and linear in y"?

A problem is considered "Quadratic in x and linear in y" if it contains both a quadratic equation with terms in x and a linear equation with terms in y. The equations may also have other terms or variables, but the key is that they both have terms in x and y.

3. What are some common strategies for solving "Quadratic in x and linear in y" problems?

One common strategy is to use substitution, where you solve one of the equations for either x or y and substitute that into the other equation. Another strategy is to graph both equations and find the point(s) of intersection. You can also use the quadratic formula to solve for x and then plug that value into the linear equation to solve for y.

4. Are there any real-world applications for "Quadratic in x and linear in y" problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for these types of problems. For example, they can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the growth of a population, or the profit of a business. These problems often involve both quadratic and linear relationships, making them "Quadratic in x and linear in y" problems.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Quadratic in x and linear in y" problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions when solving by substitution. Another mistake is misusing the quadratic formula or making calculation errors. It's also important to be mindful of the domain and range of the solutions and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.