Concerning concioussnes and the double slit experiment.

In summary, the conversation discusses the double-slit experiment and its relationship to consciousness. The question is whether the conscious observer affects the behavior of quantum-scale particles, and if there is any experiment that proves this. The conversation also mentions different interpretations of quantum physics, including the idea that our subjective experience is a function of the information encoded in our brains. However, the video linked in the conversation is deemed as pseudoscience and the discussion is closed.
bobos1997
Hello there,

I have a question about the double-slit experiment and conscioussnes.
Excuse me if I don't formulate things right and might come over as a total fool for asking this (English is not my native language and i don't study physics).
I just saw this video: <Moderator's note: link removed>
It states the observation of a conscious being affects the behavior of a quantum-scale particle (wave-particle duality). Complementary to this the man in the video states that the conscious part is essential in the proces of changing/determening the behavior.
My common sense and leading physicists of today tell me this is not true and are attributing the change to the "brutal" act of measuring.
However considering the confusion around this subject I was wondering if there is any experiment that proves my common sense and leading physicists of today are right.
My question in short is: Is there a double slit-experiment done with all of the measuring equipment in place and all of the equipment activated but without the conscious observer?
This way proving the results are the same and the light/matter behaves like a particle with or without a conscious observer.
I just want to clarify this for myself since there is a lot of debate about this on the internet.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The data in modern double-slit experiments (with light) can be recorded electronically, so that no one needs to be in the lab while the experiment is taking place.

That said, if any information even exists as to whether the particle went through one slit or the other, the interference pattern would be destroyed.

In order for such information to exist, the light will have to interact with some measurement device, disturbing that state. The more information a measurement device can obtain about which path the particle went through, the stronger the interaction must be between the measurement device and the state of the particle, increasing the disturbance.

The question of where quantum behavior ends, and a somewhat random, but classical experience begins is a fundamental philosophical question at the heart of quantum physics, about which there is no broad consensus. Indeed, there are multiple competing interpretations besides "consciousness causes collapse". Two of the more popular ones might be the many worlds interpretation, and qubism. The many worlds interpretation would say there's no real collapse, and that our subjective experience is a function of the information physically encoded in our brains, which interact, however indirectly, with the rest of the universe. Qubism (or quantum bayesianism) takes a very conservative approach, saying that quantum mechanics is only a framework for generating probabilities of different outcomes of events, and that further interpretation is unnecessary.

I don't understand any of these interpretations well enough to come down solidly on one side or the other (third sides being possible too), but I use quantum physics like a qubist, and imagine quantum physics like a many-worlds enthusiast.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and bobos1997
The video you linked to is pure pseudoscience. No consciousness does not affect the double slit experiment.

Discussion of pseudoscience is against PF rules. Thread closed.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a famous physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves a beam of particles or waves being directed at a barrier with two slits, resulting in an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the barrier.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to consciousness?

Some interpretations of the double slit experiment suggest that the act of observation or measurement can affect the behavior of the particles being tested. This has led to speculation about the role of consciousness in shaping reality.

3. Can consciousness collapse the wave function in the double slit experiment?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that consciousness can collapse the wave function in the double slit experiment. While some interpretations of the experiment suggest this, it is still a controversial and unproven concept.

4. What is the significance of the double slit experiment for consciousness studies?

The double slit experiment has sparked discussions and debates about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping it. It has also inspired further research into the connection between quantum physics and consciousness.

5. Are there any real-world implications of the double slit experiment for consciousness?

At this time, there are no practical applications of the double slit experiment for consciousness studies. However, the ongoing exploration of this phenomenon may lead to new insights and discoveries in the future.