Concerning thoughts in my head.

• Medical
  • Thread starter operationsres
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Thoughts
In summary: If sitting in your house is causing the problem, you might want to try going outside more. Or see a doctor.
operationsres
Hi, I have this thing where if I see someone this really negative thought about them will pop into my head about them, independent of my will, and it's growing in consistency. It'd be something awful like "you're so ugly" or "wow you're fat". Really disgusting stuff. It's turned into like a default neural pathway as soon as I see someone. I'm the opposite of a bad person and would never say anything to hurt someone. I'm the opposite of bigoted and racist, and I never stereotype, etc. I'm not a negative thinker. I'm the most generous person I know (not bragging). I volunteer at a homeless shelter. I don't value materialistic crap or looks. Wtf!?

What the hell's going on? Does anyone else get this? I want it to stop.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, we can't give diagnosis here, but I'm going to post under the assumption that what you're experiencing isn't a mental illness.

If what you're experiencing can be described as a bad habit, you may be able to break yourself of it. Try wearing a rubber band around your wrist and giving a slight snap when you have one of these thoughts. The intent is just a slight snap, not a full on flagellation :-p.

I've tried this myself and found it an effective behavior modification technique, if the behavior isn't too ingrained and you're really motivated to change.

That could work. I'll try a hard pinch, thanks!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a bad habit. It's interesting to note that increasing prevalence of this is positively correlated with periods of when I rarely leave the house and just research and read. Perhaps a very subtle/minor social anxiety disorder.

Lisa sounds right to me, not an illness. You can do more than pinch: You stop, write down or say out loud, "How do I feel now? What was I thinking before this thought came to me? How much of this thought is valid, how would I feel to have others think this of me? Does this thought ease some other emotional stress or distract me?"

I would add, you can read of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, which does not reacquire a diagnosis. You WANT to change, this is step one, and if you have some anxiety that is clinical or sub-clinical CBT cannot hurt.

Huh. I was about to say the opposite. You could be suffering from a mild form of depression or (remotely possible) schizophrenia.

If it does not go away on its own, you should mention it to your family doctor.

DaveC426913 said:
Huh. I was about to say the opposite. You could be suffering from a mild form of depression or (remotely possible) schizophrenia.

If it does not go away on its own, you should mention it to your family doctor.

If this were schizophrenia there would likely be patterns in his writing, and we could not diagnose. Without the ability to diagnose, the best way to do so is to offer treatment as diagnosis.

IcedEcliptic said:
Without the ability to diagnose, the best way to do so is to offer treatment as diagnosis.
No, the best way is to refer him to his doctor. Offering him methods for coping could result in a delayed visit and delayed diagnosis.

operationsres said:
Hi, I have this thing where if I see someone this really negative thought about them will pop into my head about them, independent of my will, and it's growing in consistency. It'd be something awful like "you're so ugly" or "wow you're fat". Really disgusting stuff. It's turned into like a default neural pathway as soon as I see someone. I'm the opposite of a bad person and would never say anything to hurt someone. I'm the opposite of bigoted and racist, and I never stereotype, etc. I'm not a negative thinker. I'm the most generous person I know (not bragging). I volunteer at a homeless shelter. I don't value materialistic crap or looks. Wtf!?

What the hell's going on? Does anyone else get this? I want it to stop.
It sounds to me like something is in the back of your mind bothering you, something you're angry about, that's popping out in these knee-jerk mental hostilities. If you can figure out what it is and take care of it, you'll probably mellow out.

zoobyshoe said:
If you can figure out what it is and take care of it, you'll probably mellow out.
Well duh. It's ugly people and fat people.

Thanks guys!

I've only noticed it in the last 2 months, I've been sitting in my house pretty much reading and researching and haven't gone outside much. So I guess there could be some causal link, some kind of anxiety or something. I'll google CBT and try the writing it down thing and see if it works, thanks.

operationsres said:
Thanks guys!

I've only noticed it in the last 2 months, I've been sitting in my house pretty much reading and researching and haven't gone outside much. So I guess there could be some causal link, some kind of anxiety or something. I'll google CBT and try the writing it down thing and see if it works, thanks.

Cognitive Therapy is excellent. The main book is called Feeling Good, by David Burns M.D.
You should be able to get hold of it anywhere; the library for sure. It's very popular and there's about 40 billion copies in print.

Related to Concerning thoughts in my head.

1. What causes concerning thoughts in my head?

Concerning thoughts in your head can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, past traumas, and mental health conditions such as depression or bipolar disorder.

2. Are concerning thoughts normal?

It is normal for everyone to experience concerning thoughts from time to time. However, if these thoughts are interfering with your daily life and causing distress, it may be a sign of a larger issue and it is important to seek help from a medical professional.

3. Can I control my concerning thoughts?

While it may not be possible to completely control your thoughts, there are strategies you can use to manage and cope with concerning thoughts. These include mindfulness techniques, talking to a therapist, and practicing self-care.

4. Can physical health affect concerning thoughts?

Yes, there is a strong connection between physical and mental health. Certain physical health conditions, such as chronic pain or hormonal imbalances, can contribute to concerning thoughts. It is important to address any underlying physical health issues to help improve your overall well-being.

5. When should I seek professional help for concerning thoughts?

If your concerning thoughts are causing significant distress and interfering with your daily life, it is important to seek professional help. A mental health professional can provide a proper diagnosis and create a treatment plan to help you manage and cope with your thoughts.