Concerns about radium alarm clock

• Thread starter Rex-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary, the clock had a glowing paint that was caused by the radiation from the clock's internal components. The clock was unsafe to use after the crystal fell off, and should be stored in a safe place to avoid further exposure.
Rex-
About two months ago I had a raduim Looping desk alarm clock which fell on the floor from about 3 ft for those last few days i had been using it as an alarm clock and it was working great, but as someone new to clock collectiong I didn't know it was raidoactive.

When the clock fell I was sleeping so i don't know how long I was exposed, but i think that it was on the crystal when it fell but im not quit sure. When i woke up i saw the clock on the floor, and beeing stressted that it had broke i quickly put the crystal back on the clock and put it back on my desk. for the following week or so I contuinued with my life. Sometimes I thought about how the clock might be raidoactive but if it didn't glow in the dark I thought I was fine.

One day I was curious and I used a UV light and realized it glowed this made me verry stressed, I read a couple articles about how dangerous radium watches were and if the crystal is taken off and exposed to you in a closed space it can become verry dangerous so, for the following week I slept in a different room and got a gigercounter just to confirm that it was radioactive and it was. Then I took it to a local clock repairman to see his reaction to the story and he said that it was fine but I am still worried because there might still be radation im my room especaily if some radon leaked out.

I would love to know what kind of advice is out there about broken radium clocks and their saftey I really don't know where to go or what to do at this point. Currently, the cloock is safely stored to prevent anymore radation leakage. Also I radation cheked my room with the giger counter to see it it was radioactive and it was normal but i cannot confirm because it does not detect alpha radation.

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rex- said:
got a gigercounter just to confirm that it was radioactive and it was.
Could you please give us some readings? With the instrument near the clock and further away.
And maybe in the other rooms.

Rex- said:
One day I was curious and I used a UV light and realized it glowed this made me verry stressed,
The glowing occurs because the paint is fluorescent, not because of radioactivity. The radioactivity of radium itself is invisible, so the energy of decay is converted to visible light by the fluorescent paint. By shining UV light on the paint, it’s the UV that’s providing that energy for fluorescence rather than the radium decay.

@Rive is right, the only way to tell how radioactive it is is to look at the actual readings on the Geiger counter.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, Vanadium 50, berkeman and 2 others
Rex- said:
there might still be radation im my room especaily if some radon leaked out.
Enough to open the window. It is an inert gas that doesn't combine with anything. In very specific cases it can accumulate in closed, never ventilated spaces.

Likes gmax137, scottdave and russ_watters
Radium decay chain to lead is mainly alpha particles, which can be stopped by a sheet of paper. The radium would be very dangerous if you swallowed it. Sleeping overnight with the clock face broken and on the floor will not harm you, cleaning the floor with a vacuum cleaner or small brush and pan might kick up some dust which might contain some of the paint and be breathed in (very bad for you). But if the actual parts designed to glow are not broken, just the clock glass, you have very little to fear.

When testing with a geiger counter, you can turn up the sensitivity so much that the ground you stand on will make it click. So you have to compare the background radiation away from where the clock landed and where it landed, to see if they is a big difference. If you get a clicking in your room and place a sheet of paper over the point where the clicks seem to be coming from, and the clicks stop, you might have something there. If the clicks stay the much the same, it is background radiation. IMHO

Worrying about radiation leaking from the clock and locking it up securely is not really necessary as the radium is stuck in the paint itself. Licking the paint is strongly not recommended. Handling the paint is a bad idea too.

Likes scottdave and russ_watters
TeethWhitener said:
The glowing occurs because the paint is fluorescent, not because of radioactivity. ...
Yep.

I am beginning to wonder if "radium" is a model or brand name. I do hope the OP gets back to us with his readings.

Likes russ_watters and dlgoff
DrJohn said:
Radium decay chain to lead is mainly alpha particles, which can be stopped by a sheet of paper. The radium would be very dangerous if you swallowed it. Sleeping overnight with the clock face broken and on the floor will not harm you, cleaning the floor with a vacuum cleaner or small brush and pan might kick up some dust which might contain some of the paint and be breathed in (very bad for you). But if the actual parts designed to glow are not broken, just the clock glass, you have very little to fear.

When testing with a geiger counter, you can turn up the sensitivity so much that the ground you stand on will make it click. So you have to compare the background radiation away from where the clock landed and where it landed, to see if they is a big difference. If you get a clicking in your room and place a sheet of paper over the point where the clicks seem to be coming from, and the clicks stop, you might have something there. If the clicks stay the much the same, it is background radiation. IMHO

Worrying about radiation leaking from the clock and locking it up securely is not really necessary as the radium is stuck in the paint itself. Licking the paint is strongly not recommended. Handling the paint is a bad idea too.
Thank you so much for your reply, when the clock fell the crystal miraculously didn’t break but fell off. I’m concerned that when I put the crystal back on that I may have breathed and leaked some radioactive dust or gas like radon into my room. The reason I say this is though, the hands didn’t break but the lume next to the numbers very was dusty and seemed almost fluffy. Also because the geiger counter can’t detect alpha particles it would be much harder to see if my room was radioactive (Which it’s probably not).

A couple more things to to know. I unfortunately misplaced the Geiger counter because it has been 2 months since I used it and I haven’t really needed it but the it gave me about 869cpm for the clock and normal readings for my room *without sensitivity on. Also I have been sleeping in my room for the past month because I thought I was safe and after reading some articles I begin to get more concerned. These articles talked about how once radon 226 is exposed to the air. It leads to a chain of nasty chemicals that are radioactive that are very dangerous.

This made me concerned because it’s possible that radon could’ve leak, in to my room. These gases could be in my room which are very dangerous and I might be inhaling these gases (the reason I wrote this message). Though it is possible because it was a small clock that it was such a minute amount that it’s not dangerous. Given this new information do have anything to say, should I see the doctor if there’s a chance that I breathed any radioactive particle in? Should I sleep in my room? Is it worth getting a better Geiger counter? And is this something worth worrying about?

Pleas leave anything else that you would like to say. One last thing- I think that I could be able to find the clock tomorrow if needed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time out of the day to leave a response. I really do appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the glowing numbers on the clock face fade after a few hours in the dark they are not radioactive. As stated above,
TeethWhitener said:
The glowing occurs because the paint is fluorescent, not because of radioactivity.
That means the painted numerals absorb energy from ambient (ultraviolet) light then release it later as lower-energy (longer wavelength) visible light.

However, if the glow is steady overnight then it is likely radioactive.

So an easy test is to store it in a dark closet or box overnight and see if the numerals still glow in the dark; then expose it to direct sun for several seconds and see if it glows brightly in the dark.Here in the USA, the radioactive ones were banned roughly 50 years ago. So if it is domestic and newer than that, you COULD report it to the federal government to make sure they are not still being distributed.

Cheers (and sleep well),
Tom

You can alleviate any radon concern by following @Borek 's advice: open the windows to circulate fresh air into the room.

Try @Tom.G 's test to see if your clock really has a radium dial. Let us know your results!

Likes DrJohn, Tom.G and scottdave

1. What is radium and why is it used in alarm clocks?

Radium is a radioactive element that was commonly used in alarm clocks in the early 20th century because it emits a bright glow in the dark, making it useful for telling time at night.

2. Is radium dangerous to have in an alarm clock?

Yes, radium is a highly radioactive substance and can be dangerous if ingested or inhaled. It can increase the risk of developing cancer and other health issues.

3. How long does radium last in an alarm clock?

Radium has a half-life of 1,600 years, meaning it takes that long for half of the substance to decay. However, it can still emit radiation for many years after that, making it a long-term hazard.

4. Can radium from an alarm clock contaminate other objects?

Yes, radium can easily spread and contaminate other objects if it is not properly disposed of. It can also contaminate the air and water if not handled carefully.

5. What should I do if I have an old radium alarm clock?

If you have an old radium alarm clock, it is best to dispose of it properly. Contact your local waste management or hazardous waste disposal facility for guidance on how to safely dispose of it. Do not attempt to break or dismantle the clock yourself.

Back