Condensed matter in a Black Hole

In summary: Big Bang, as you call it, is not conserved. The total energy of the universe is not the same as it was at the beginning of the Big Bang.
mpolo
I am wondering if there is some type of matter in the core of the Black Hole. Is it possible to compute the distance from the surface of the Black Hole Core to the Event Horizon? Oh that would be fun to calculate.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. There is no such thing as "the core of a black hole".

mpolo said:
I am wondering if there is some type of matter in the core of the Black Hole. Is it possible to compute the distance from the surface of the Black Hole Core to the Event Horizon? Oh that would be fun to calculate.
There is no such thing in classical general relativity, but there could be in the quantum theory. See
https://arxiv.org/abs/1505.04088

Likes jerromyjon
Demystifier said:
There is no such thing in classical general relativity, but there could be in the quantum theory. See
https://arxiv.org/abs/1505.04088
While true, I did not see a real point in bringing it up in a B-level thread. I think that words such as "could be" are too easily dropped for "is" by laymen when passing on this type of information.

Likes hsdrop
Orodruin said:
While true, I did not see a real point in bringing it up in a B-level thread. I think that words such as "could be" are too easily dropped for "is" by laymen when passing on this type of information.
You are right, this is not appropriate for a B-level thread. But still, someone reading it may find it interesting.

@Orodruin So what is inside of a Black Hole if there is no core matter? I was under the impression that know one really knows what is underneath the event horizon. If know one really knows what is in there then there is a possibility that it could be made up of some strange type of ultra dense matter. At any rate for discussion sake let's just say there is a sphere of some type of matter. I think it would be fun to take a guess at the density and mass of the sphere mathematically speaking and then calculate the distance from that sphere which is most likely rotating rapidly to the event horizon. That would really be fun to put into a computer program.

mpolo said:
@Orodruin So what is inside of a Black Hole if there is no core matter? I was under the impression that know one really knows what is underneath the event horizon. If know one really knows what is in there then there is a possibility that it could be made up of some strange type of ultra dense matter. At any rate for discussion sake let's just say there is a sphere of some type of matter. I think it would be fun to take a guess at the density and mass of the sphere mathematically speaking and then calculate the distance from that sphere which is most likely rotating rapidly to the event horizon. That would really be fun to put into a computer program.

It is very easy (and common among laymen) to think of a black hole as if it occupies some part of Euclidean space. Unfortunately, doing so is not very appropriate. What you would be dealing with is a curved space-time and much of your intuition of what it means "to be somewhere" flies right out the window.

Looking at the simplest case of a classical Schwarzschild black hole, it is actually a vacuum solution - there is no matter anywhere, the Schwarzschild mass is a property of the space-time. The singularity is not so much "located in the middle" as it more related to a moment in time than to a position in space.

Likes martinbn
When the Big Bang happened was that the result of a Black Hole that expanded or exploded?

mpolo said:
When the Big Bang happened was that the result of a Black Hole that expanded or exploded?
No. Regardless of what you might read in popular literature, the Big Bang was not an explosion in the usual sense of the word.

mpolo said:
What causes r which I assume is the radius to be zero?
No, it is not the radius, at least not in the sense that you would recognise it. If you look at the Schwarzschild solution inside the black hole, it is actually a time coordinate. Regardless of that, the definition of the r coordinate in the Schwarzschild solution is that the area of the corresponding sphere in the spherically symmetric solution should be ##4\pi r^2##. Note that this does not mean that this sphere has a "radius" ##r##, since it is a hypersurface in 4-dimensional curved space-time.

mpolo said:
If space can expand or bend does that not imply that space is a real thing?
This nomenclature is a bit toxic. Physics deals with observations and describing them. What is subjectively "real" is a matter of philosophy.

mpolo said:
So, okay then space expands then where did all the matter and energy come from in the Big Bang.
The total energy of the universe is not very well defined in GR and if you manage to define it it will not be conserved in an expanding universe. One of the more popular theories about what happened before the hot big bang is inflationary models. Such models leave the universe completely empty, spatially flat, and cold apart from the presence of an inflaton field that by decaying to matter and radiation reheats the universe.

The OP question has been answered, and a number of overly speculative posts have been deleted. The thread will remain closed.

1. What is condensed matter in a Black Hole?

Condensed matter refers to the state of matter in which particles are packed closely together and interact strongly with one another. In the extreme conditions of a black hole, matter is compressed to a high density and undergoes significant changes in its physical properties.

2. How does matter behave in a Black Hole?

Matter in a black hole behaves very differently from matter in normal conditions. The intense gravitational force of the black hole causes matter to collapse in on itself, resulting in extreme density and pressure. This can cause the matter to take on new properties, such as becoming superfluid or superconducting.

3. What types of condensed matter can exist in a Black Hole?

Several types of condensed matter have been theorized to exist in a black hole, including superfluids, superconductors, and Bose-Einstein condensates. These exotic states of matter are thought to form at the event horizon, the boundary of the black hole, where the gravitational pull is strongest.

4. How does the study of condensed matter in a Black Hole help us understand the universe?

The study of condensed matter in a black hole can provide insights into the fundamental principles of physics and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. It also has implications for our understanding of the evolution of the universe and the role of black holes in shaping its structure.

5. Can we observe condensed matter in a Black Hole?

Currently, there is no way to directly observe condensed matter in a black hole, as the intense gravitational pull prevents any information from escaping. However, scientists can study the effects of a black hole's gravity on surrounding matter and use mathematical models to make predictions about the behavior of condensed matter within a black hole.