Condensed Matter PhD Program Choice - Advice Needed

In summary, the two institutes offer great opportunities, but the atmosphere at Oxford might not be ideal.
Feyel
Hi,

I don't want to be too specific here, but specific enough for relevant advice.

I'm finishing a Masters in Physics and am lucky to have been made offers by 2 excellent institutes: a Max Planck Graduate Centre (MP), and at Oxford UK. Both are in experimental condensed matter; Weyl semi-metals at MP, superconductors at Oxford.

MP would be exciting as I have never lived in Germany - I worry that I would regret not taking the opportunity to go, and I like topology so Weyl semi-metals would be interesting, and they seem to be a growing field. On the other hand, I am concerned that there might be more chemistry than I would like, as it is a chemistry/physics institute. The project at Oxford also is really interesting - superconductivity has always interested me, but I figure I shouldn't limit myself to considering only SC when there are so many interesting topics in condensed matter. And also, from what I have heard even at postgrad the atmosphere in Oxford might not be great.

I am really struggling to decide between the two, as both are amazing opportunities and I would enjoy the Physics in both. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you talked to people from each institute yet?

In an ideal world, I'd recommend visiting each one, but given the current state of the world, I realize that's not really feasible. You might contact each department to see if they at least have some kind of virtual tour for prospective students. See if it's possible to schedule a virtual meeting with potential supervisors and maybe some current graduate students to get a feel for each place.

It’s less about the place and more about your Ph.D. advisor/group. Also, given that you already have a masters, you should consider the program requirement differences between the two.

Also ask yourself why you consider one of the topics limiting and the other not. A successful degree is usually a deep dive. Younger scientists tend to get hung up over academic boundaries. In reality, you want an interesting physics problem and physics problems do not see these boundaries

At the end of the day, the question is about you. What works for someone else might not work for you.

Also be aware that there might not be a correct path, only different paths.

Last edited:
I've recommended the students I mentor to have virtual meetings with as many potential research advisers as possible and attend the virtual lab tours and stuff of that sort. Once all the homework is done and the choice is to be made, my advice is to follow your heart. Where is the spark? I mean the biggest spark.

OP: What country are you from? Do you have any plans as to which country you would settle in after you have completed your academic training? Or is that totally open?

1. What is a condensed matter PhD program?

A condensed matter PhD program is a graduate program that focuses on the study of the physical properties of materials in their solid or condensed state. This includes the study of atoms, molecules, and other particles that make up materials, as well as their interactions and behaviors.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in condensed matter?

Pursuing a PhD in condensed matter can lead to a career in academia, government research, or industry. It also allows for in-depth research and specialization in a specific area of condensed matter physics, and can lead to opportunities for publications and collaborations with other scientists.

3. How do I choose the right condensed matter PhD program for me?

When choosing a condensed matter PhD program, consider factors such as the research areas and faculty expertise within the program, the resources and facilities available, the program's reputation and ranking, and the location and cost of the program. It is also important to visit the campus and speak with current students and faculty to get a better understanding of the program.

4. What skills and qualifications are needed for a condensed matter PhD program?

Most condensed matter PhD programs require a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and chemistry. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to conduct independent research. Previous research experience and strong letters of recommendation are also helpful.

5. What can I expect from a condensed matter PhD program?

A condensed matter PhD program typically involves coursework, research, and teaching responsibilities. Coursework may include advanced topics in condensed matter physics, as well as electives in related fields. The majority of the program will be dedicated to conducting research, which culminates in a dissertation. Teaching responsibilities may include leading labs or assisting with undergraduate courses.