Condensed Matter Physics - Fermi velocity, etc.

In summary, the speaker has made solutions a-d but is concerned about the Fermi velocity being too big. They realize later that they converted from eV to joule incorrectly and have now obtained the correct Fermi velocity. They are now trying to determine the mean electron speed and are wondering if the density of states function g(E) can help with this. They also mention that they may need the velocity of all electrons to find the total number of electrons. They are unsure about the mean speed in solution a) and question if there may be another energy that needs to be considered.
Graham87
Homework Statement
See pic
Relevant Equations
See pic
1.png

I have made solutions a-d, but my fermi velocity seems too big.
ABFADD74-441B-4438-8095-DCFAAD139804.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you used Ef= 5 J?
Remember, it's Ef= 5 eV.

Likes Graham87
Gordianus said:
Have you used Ef= 5 J?
Remember, it's Ef= 5 eV.
Thanks! I realized that later. When I converted eV to joule I got the right Fermi velocity.

However, how may I got mean electron speed?
I know that most of the electrons are not on the Fermi surface, and I need to find the mean speed of all electrons.

Do you know something about the density of states function g(E)?

Likes Graham87
Gordianus said:
Do you know something about the density of states function g(E)?
We know that density of states in 2D is (L/2pi)^2 ?
So DOS is the no of electrons per unit area? So I just have to multiply DOS with unit area to find the total electrons?
But I will need the velocity of the total electrons?

Last edited:
I think I solved most of my problem now.

However I’m not 100% sure about mean speed in a). I used the formula and plugged in Fermi energy there, but might there be another E that should be there instead?

Thanks
059878F8-1C94-401B-8580-BB02F262015A.jpeg

1. What is Condensed Matter Physics?

Condensed Matter Physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of condensed phases of matter, such as solids and liquids. It deals with the behavior of large numbers of particles and how they interact with each other.

2. What is Fermi velocity?

Fermi velocity is the velocity of electrons at the Fermi energy level in a solid material. It is a measure of the speed at which electrons move in a material and is an important factor in determining the electrical conductivity of a material.

3. How is Fermi velocity related to Fermi energy?

Fermi velocity and Fermi energy are directly related to each other. The Fermi velocity is equal to the Fermi energy divided by the momentum of an electron at the Fermi level. In other words, it is the speed at which an electron would travel if it had the Fermi energy.

4. What factors affect Fermi velocity?

The Fermi velocity of a material is affected by various factors such as the density of the material, the strength of the electron-electron interactions, and the crystal structure of the material. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How is Condensed Matter Physics used in real-world applications?

Condensed Matter Physics has a wide range of applications in various industries, including electronics, materials science, and nanotechnology. It is used to develop new materials with specific properties, improve the efficiency of electronic devices, and understand the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.