Fermi energy in a quantum well

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the Fermi energy in a quantum cascade laser, which is given by the equation E_F = E_i + k_B T ln[exp(pi*hbar^2*n^2D/k_B T*m*) - 1]. However, the equation depends on temperature, which is not provided. The poster asks for help and requests a clearer scan or the use of LaTeX for their work.
Martin89
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
2D density of states ##g\left(E \right)=\frac{m^{*}}{\pi\hbar^2}##

Fermi energy in a quantum cascade laser ##E_{F}=E_{i}+k_{B}Tln\left[exp\left(\frac{\pi\hbar^2n^{2D}}{k_{B}Tm^{*}} \right)-1\right]##
Problem Statement: See below
Relevant Equations: 2D density of states ##g\left(E \right)=\frac{m^{*}}{\pi\hbar^2}##

Fermi energy in a quantum cascade laser ##E_{F}=E_{i}+k_{B}Tln\left[exp\left(\frac{\pi\hbar^2n^{2D}}{k_{B}Tm^{*}} \right)-1\right]##

Fermi Level.png

I've been stuck on this problem for a few days now, I really can't see how to proceed. I believe I have successfully completed the first part of the question but can't do the second part. I have found the equation for the Fermi energy in a quantum cascade laser but it depends on temperature and I am not given a temperature to work with. Any help would be really appreciated.

20190507_164825.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment is unreadable for me. Can you please make a better scan, or better yet, type your work into the forum window using LaTeX? There is a LaTeX tutorial under INFO, Help at the top of the page. Thank you.

1. What is Fermi energy in a quantum well?

Fermi energy in a quantum well refers to the energy level at which all available states in a quantum well are filled with electrons at absolute zero temperature. It is a measure of the highest energy state that an electron can occupy in a confined system, such as a semiconductor quantum well.

2. How is Fermi energy in a quantum well calculated?

Fermi energy in a quantum well can be calculated using the formula EF = (πħ2n)/2m, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, n is the number of electrons per unit area, and m is the effective mass of the electron in the quantum well.

3. What factors affect the Fermi energy in a quantum well?

The Fermi energy in a quantum well is affected by the number of electrons, the width and depth of the well, and the effective mass of the electrons. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and applied electric fields.

4. What is the significance of Fermi energy in a quantum well?

Fermi energy in a quantum well is an important concept in understanding the electronic properties of semiconductors and other confined systems. It determines the occupation of energy levels and plays a crucial role in the behavior of electrons in these systems.

5. How does the Fermi energy in a quantum well differ from that in a bulk material?

In a bulk material, the Fermi energy is a constant value that is independent of the number of electrons. In a quantum well, however, the Fermi energy is dependent on the number of electrons and can change as the number of electrons is varied. This is due to the confinement of electrons in a quantum well, which leads to discrete energy levels rather than a continuous band of energy levels.