Condensed Matter/Quantum Info -OR- High-Energy

• Thread starter moonjob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    condensed
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's decision on which field to pursue for their PhD studies - Condensed Matter/Quantum Information science or High-Energy Particle physics. They express their interest in both fields, but mention that CM/QI may offer more opportunities for progress and success. Other participants offer their thoughts and experiences, discussing the applicability and diversity of the field of condensed matter. The conversation also touches on the speaker's potential future employment opportunities and the growing interest in topological phases and the AdS-CFT correspondence in both high energy and condensed matter fields.
moonjob
I will be starting PhD studies in the fall, but first I must decide which school I will attend. I am basing this on what field I want to go into. The choices are Condensed Matter/Quantum Information science or High-Energy Particle physics. I am having a little bit of difficulty deciding. I am very interested in both. I feel like CM/QI is the better choice, because there is more room for making real progress compared to HEP, where the nature of the field makes for slow progress. I definitely find the field to be very interesting. On the other hand, HEP is a little more amazing in certain ways. Although perhaps I shouldn't, I see CM/QI as a little "lesser" than the foundational work going on in HEP. I mean, particle physics seems like the elite field to be in. On the other hand, I think I stand more of a chance for happiness and success in CM/QI because of its higher relative accessibility. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would really consider your future employment opportunities when making this decision, above anything else. You'll probably be happy choosing either one if you apply yourself, but you may be stuck without a job after you finish depending on which you choose.

Thank you. That's kind of what I was thinking.

I don't feel like I have enough experience to answer your question straight-out (I am merely a grad student myself), but just to let you know that there are parts of condensed matter which are similar in spirit to HEP: look up Xiao-Gang Wen's work on string-net liquids.

Wow. That is an awesome concept. I am so glad you introduced this to me! Thank you!

Welcome, glad you like it! :)

In my cohort, neither the quantum information people nor the HEP people were able to continue in science post-phd/postdoc.

Many of the condensed matter phds were able to find work at Intel and the like.

I think while some areas of condensed matter theory can appear to be a lot more applied, the field itself is very diverse in these terms ranging from areas which directly relate to the properties of real materials to topics which are very exotic and almost as fundamental as string theory. This is actually what attracts me to it, as I have been fortunate enough to be exposed to much of the recent work on topological insulators as an undergraduate.
The new areas which seem to be really growing based on what several well respected professors have told me are topological phases in interacting/disordered systems and the use of the AdS-CFT correspondence to develop models for strongly correlated systems. I actually went to a talk recently by one of Xiao-Gan Wen's students, Michael Levin, which was about topologically protected edge states in the absence of symmetry. Very exotic work, but incredibly interesting. I think people in high energy are also starting to get interested in these sorts of topics. I have seen a lot of the high energy faculty attending condensed matter colloquia at my institution.

Related to Condensed Matter/Quantum Info -OR- High-Energy

1. What is condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of matter in its condensed state, such as solids and liquids. It focuses on understanding and predicting the behavior of materials at the atomic or molecular level.

2. What is quantum information?

Quantum information is a field that combines quantum mechanics and information theory to study the processing, transmission, and storage of information at the quantum level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which allow for the encoding and manipulation of information using quantum states.

3. How is high-energy physics related to condensed matter physics?

High-energy physics is the study of the fundamental particles and forces of nature, while condensed matter physics focuses on the behavior of matter on a larger scale. However, there is a growing overlap between the two fields, as high-energy techniques are being used to study condensed matter systems and condensed matter concepts are being applied to high-energy systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum information?

Quantum information has numerous potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also has the potential to revolutionize fields such as drug discovery, materials science, and financial modeling.

5. What is the role of technology in high-energy physics research?

Technology plays a crucial role in high-energy physics research, as it allows scientists to build and operate advanced particle accelerators and detectors. These technologies enable the study of fundamental particles and their interactions, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.