Conditional Probability and Urns in balls

In summary, the conditional probability of the 3rd ball being red is 13/18 if all 3 balls are red, 1/3 if one of the balls is red and the other two are not, and 2/5 if one of the balls is red and the other two are both white.
bitty

Homework Statement

You have 3 urns: Urn 1 has 3 red balls, Urn 2 has 2 red balls, 1 blue ball. Urn 3 has 2 red balls 2 blue balls. You pick a ball from each urn and place it into Urn 4.
You draw 2 balls from Urn 4 and they are red. What is the conditional probability that the 3rd ball is also red?

Homework Equations

Bayes law?

The Attempt at a Solution

The third ball can be from urn 1, 2, or 3. So I initially tried
P(3rd red given first 2 are red)=P(3rd ball is red and from Urn 1)+P(3rd ball is red and from Urn 2)+P(3rd ball is red and from Urn 3)
=1/3(1+2/3+1/2)=13/18.

But this doesn't seem right, I feel like I'm neglecting the conditions of the first 2.
what if I try P(3rd red given first 2 are red)=P(1st two balls being red from urn 1 and urn 2)*P(3rd ball red from urn 3)+P(1st two balls being red from urn 1 and urn 3)*P(3rd ball red from urn 2)+ P(1st two balls being red from urn 2 and urn 3)*P(3rd ball red from urn 1)

Is that formulation correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
bitty said:

Homework Statement

You have 3 urns: Urn 1 has 3 red balls, Urn 2 has 2 red balls, 1 blue ball. Urn 3 has 2 red balls 2 blue balls. You pick a ball from each urn and place it into Urn 4.
You draw 2 balls from Urn 4 and they are red. What is the conditional probability that the 3rd ball is also red?

Homework Equations

Bayes law?

The Attempt at a Solution

The third ball can be from urn 1, 2, or 3. So I initially tried
P(3rd red given first 2 are red)=P(3rd ball is red and from Urn 1)+P(3rd ball is red and from Urn 2)+P(3rd ball is red and from Urn 3)
=1/3(1+2/3+1/2)=13/18.

But this doesn't seem right, I feel like I'm neglecting the conditions of the first 2.
what if I try P(3rd red given first 2 are red)=P(1st two balls being red from urn 1 and urn 2)*P(3rd ball red from urn 3)+P(1st two balls being red from urn 1 and urn 3)*P(3rd ball red from urn 2)+ P(1st two balls being red from urn 2 and urn 3)*P(3rd ball red from urn 1)

Is that formulation correct?

By far the easiest (and most error-free) way is to get the probabilities of the various numbers of red in Urn 4, and to forget about which of Urns 1-3 they came from. Letting R = number red in Urn 4, we have R = 1, 2 or 3: we always have at least 1 red in U4 because all balls in U1 are red. {R=1} = {blue from U2 & blue from U3}, {R=2} = {red from U1 and blue from U2} or {blue from U1 & red from U2}, and {R=3} = {red from U2 & red from U3}. Once you know the values of P{R=1}, P{R=2} and P{R=3}, you can find P{R=3 | R >= 2}, which is what you want.

RGV

Let's see:
P(R=1)=1*1/3*1/2=1/6
P(R=2)=1*2/3*1/2+1*1/3*1/2=1/2
P(R=3)=1*2/3*1/2=1/3
which add to 1 as desired.

Then, by Bayes' Rule: P(R=3|R>=2)= P(R=3)/(P(R=2)+P(R=3))=2/5

---My first question is: did I use Bayes rule correctly? It seems, correctly, that P(R=1) is irrelevant given the condition.

I checked this answer a different way: we have 3*3*4=36 possible outcomes of 3 balls.
Of these,3*2*2=12 have 3 red balls, 3*2*2+3*1*2=18 have 2red, 1 white, and 6 have 1 red 2 white.

Restricting ourselves to >=2 reds, we have 12/(12+18)=2/5, which agrees.

---My 2nd question is: we are findingP{R=3 | R >= 2} the probability that 3 balls are red, given at least 2 are. Is this the same as finding the probability that the 3rd ball, given 1st are 2 red?

Thanks

OK, I see what you mean: the events {R >= 2} and {1st two red} could be different, because one of the possibilities in {R >= 2} is RBR. So *my second suggestion was incorrect*. Instead, compute P{1st red and 2nd red} as P{1st red and 2nd red|R=2}*P{R=2} + P{1st red & 2nd red | R=3}*P{R=3}. We know P{R=2} and P{R=3}. We have P{1st red & 2nd red | R=3} = 1 of course, and getting P{1st red & 2nd red | R=2} is not very hard. Note that here, 1st and 2nd refer to drawings from U4, not from U1--U3.

RGV

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It takes into account the relationship between two events and calculates the probability of one event happening based on the occurrence of the other event.

How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the intersection of the two events by the probability of the first event occurring. This can be written as P(A|B) = P(A∩B) / P(B), where A and B are two events.

What is an urn and how is it related to conditional probability?

An urn is a container that holds a specific number of balls. The balls inside the urn can be of different colors or have different labels. An urn is related to conditional probability because it is often used in probability problems to represent a sample space and the balls inside represent different outcomes or events.

What is the difference between drawing with replacement and without replacement from an urn?

Drawing with replacement means that after a ball is drawn from the urn, it is put back into the urn before the next draw. This means that the number of balls in the urn remains the same for each draw. Drawing without replacement means that after a ball is drawn, it is not put back into the urn. This changes the probability of the next draw, as there are now fewer balls in the urn.

How can conditional probability be used in real life?

Conditional probability can be used in various fields such as statistics, finance, and medicine. For example, in medicine, conditional probability can be used to calculate the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease based on their symptoms and medical history. It can also be used in finance to make predictions about the stock market based on past trends and current economic conditions.