Conditional probability of a test records this positive result

In summary: A)?ThanksThat's right. The approach suggested by @Office_Shredder is to find P(D | A) and use this as the probability of getting the disease.So when finding P(B|A) it becomes something like P(B ∩ (D|A)) + P(B ∩...|A)?Yes.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
##P(A|B)=\frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}##
1646384232872.png

My attempt:
$$P(\text{B is positive}|\text{A is positive})=\frac{P(\text{B is positive} \cap \text{A is positive})}{P(\text{A is positive})}$$
$$=\frac{P(\text{B is positive})\times P(\text{A is positive})}{P(\text{A is positive})}$$
$$=P(\text{B is positive})$$
$$=0.01 \times 0.99 + 0.99 \times 0.02$$
$$=0.0297$$

Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed that A and B being positive are independent events, which is not true. If A is positive, B is much more likely to be positive. I suggest starting off by computing the probability the person has the disease if A come back positive.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
You assumed that A and B being positive are independent events, which is not true. If A is positive, B is much more likely to be positive. I suggest starting off by computing the probability the person has the disease if A come back positive.
$$P(\text{has disease}|\text{A is positive})=\frac{P(\text{A is positive}\cap \text{has disease})}{P(\text{A is positive})}$$
$$=\frac{0.01 \times 0.99}{0.01 \times 0.99 + 0.99 \times 0.04}$$
$$=\frac{97}{493}$$

What would be the next step? Thanks

Now compute P(B is positive ) given that is the probability the person has the disease.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
Now compute P(B is positive ) given that is the probability the person has the disease.
Do you mean this:
$$P(\text{B is positive}|\text{has disease})=0.99$$

or

$$P(\text{has disease}|\text{B is positive})=\frac{0.01 \times 0.99}{0.01 \times 0.99 + 0.99 \times 0.02}$$
$$=\frac 1 3$$

After you get the A positive test, you know they are 97/493 to be positive. Given that, what are the odds the B test is positive?

You have to combine the odds that B is positive given they have the disease, and that B is positive given they don't have the disease.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
After you get the A positive test, you know they are 97/493 to be positive. Given that, what are the odds the B test is positive?

You have to combine the odds that B is positive given they have the disease, and that B is positive given they don't have the disease.
$$P(\text{B is positive}|\text{has disease})=0.99$$

$$P(\text{B is positive}|\text{does not have disease})=0.02$$

But sorry I don't how to relate those to find the answer.

Do I also need to consider P(does not have disease | A is positive)?

Thanks

You just want to use P(B is positive) = P(B is positive | has disease) P(has disease) + P(B is positive | doesn't have disease) P(doesn't have disease)

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
You just want to use P(B is positive) = P(B is positive | has disease) P(has disease) + P(B is positive | doesn't have disease) P(doesn't have disease)
Wouldn't it be the same if I just calculate P(B is positive) without using conditional probability?

P(B is positive) = P(has disease and B is positive) + P(does not have disease and B is positive)
= 0.01 x 0.99 + 0.99 x 0.02
= 0.0297

Sorry but I still can't relate all the hints to find P(A is positive and B is positive).

Thanks

songoku said:
Wouldn't it be the same if I just calculate P(B is positive) without using conditional probability?

It's different because I'm telling you to use a different probability that the person has the disease than the starting one. Use the information you learned from getting the A test being positive.

This person does not have a 1% chance is having the disease.

0.01 x 0.99

So you should not have this showing up anywhere.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
It's different because I'm telling you to use a different probability that the person has the disease than the starting one. Use the information you learned from getting the A test being positive.

This person does not have a 1% chance is having the disease.
So you should not have this showing up anywhere.
P(B has disease) = 0.99 x 97/493 + 0.02 x (1 - 97/493) = 21.1%

Is this what you mean?

Thanks

songoku said:
P(B has disease) = 0.99 x 97/493 + 0.02 x (1 - 97/493) = 21.1%

Is this what you mean?

Thanks
That's the answer I get, but I don’t follow how you got it.
If A is the event test A is +ve, B is the event test B is +ve, and D is the event the patient has the disease then I think of it as
P(A)=P(D)P(A|D)+P(-D)P(A|-D)
P(A&B)=P(D&A&B)+P(-D&A&B)
P(B|A)=P(A&B)/P(A)

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
That's the answer I get, but I don’t follow how you got it.
If A is the event test A is +ve, B is the event test B is +ve, and D is the event the patient has the disease then I think of it as
P(A)=P(D)P(A|D)+P(-D)P(A|-D)
P(A&B)=P(D&A&B)+P(-D&A&B)
P(B|A)=P(A&B)/P(A)
The approach suggested by @Office_Shredder is to find P(D | A) and use this as the probability of getting the disease.

So when finding P(B|A) it becomes something like P(B ∩ (D|A)) + P(B ∩ (D|A)')

I think at some level trying to write down generic formulas becomes less helpful. The question asks you to find the probability that B is positive, which you can only figure out if you know whether someone has the disease, so first you should figure out if they have the disease or not, and then use that to figure out if B is positive.

Also, (D|A)' probably should be (D'|A).

Likes songoku
songoku said:
The approach suggested by @Office_Shredder is to find P(D | A) and use this as the probability of getting the disease.

So when finding P(B|A) it becomes something like P(B ∩ (D|A)) + P(B ∩ (D|A)')
Not sure how to read P(B ∩ (D|A)). D|A is not an event. Do you mean P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D)|A'))? But that just reduces to P(B ∩ D). I guess you mean P(B|A)= P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D')|A))?

Anyway, finding P(D|A) seems like a long way round to me. I'd need to see the whole solution to compare.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Not sure how to read P(B ∩ (D|A)). D|A is not an event. Do you mean P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D)|A'))? But that just reduces to P(B ∩ D). I guess you mean P(B|A)= P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D')|A))?
Yes, I think that's the one, P(B|A)= P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D')|A))

haruspex said:
Anyway, finding P(D|A) seems like a long way round to me. I'd need to see the whole solution to compare.

$$P(D|A)=\frac{P(D \cap A)}{P(A)}$$
$$=\frac{97}{493}$$

P(B|A) = P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D')|A)) = 0.99 x 97/493 + 0.02 x (1 - 97/493) = 21.1%

I guess the working is something like that.

Thanks

songoku said:
Yes, I think that's the one, P(B|A)= P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D')|A))
$$P(D|A)=\frac{P(D \cap A)}{P(A)}$$
$$=\frac{97}{493}$$

P(B|A) = P((B ∩ D)|A)) + P((B ∩ D')|A)) = 0.99 x 97/493 + 0.02 x (1 - 97/493) = 21.1%

I guess the working is something like that.

Thanks
Ok, about the same length as my approach in post #12.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much Office_Shredder and haruspex

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It takes into account the relationship between two events and is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of both events by the probability of the first event.

How is conditional probability related to test results?

Conditional probability is often used in the context of test results to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome given the result of a test. For example, the conditional probability of a person having a disease given a positive test result would be the probability of both events happening divided by the probability of a positive test result.

What is the significance of a positive test result?

A positive test result indicates that the person being tested has tested positive for a certain condition or disease. However, the accuracy of the test result depends on the sensitivity and specificity of the test, as well as the prevalence of the condition in the population.

How do you calculate the conditional probability of a positive test result?

The conditional probability of a positive test result can be calculated by dividing the probability of a positive test result given the presence of the condition by the overall probability of a positive test result. This can be expressed as P(positive result | condition) / P(positive result).

What factors can affect the conditional probability of a positive test result?

The conditional probability of a positive test result can be affected by various factors, including the accuracy of the test, the prevalence of the condition in the population, and any biases or limitations in the testing process. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the results of a test.