Conditions inside a protoplanetary disc

In summary: Yes, starting with the mass of the planets in our solar system and adding up their densities would give you a ballpark figure for the average density of a PP disc.I have just finished writing a fictional story that takes place inside a protoplanetary disc. Now I think I should determine how realistic it is.My question -- Somewhere in a typical PP disc, the gas pressure would be in the range of one Barr. How hot would it be at that level? Also, how close to the newly forming star would the one Barr level be?My story takes place at this location, so is there any chance that the temperature would be tolerable for a spaceship (or an exposed human)? How outlandish is
Galexy
Summary:: Conditions inside a protoplanetary disc.

I have just finished writing a fictional story that takes place inside a protoplanetary disc. Now I think I should determine how realistic it is.

My question -- Somewhere in a typical PP disc, the gas pressure would be in the range of one Barr. How hot would it be at that level? Also, how close to the newly forming star would the one Barr level be?
My story takes place at this location, so is there any chance that the temperature would be tolerable for a spaceship (or an exposed human)? How outlandish is that?

I have looked at all kinds of research papers describing the theoretical physical conditions inside a PP disc. I just can't make any sense of them.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats on finishing your story, @Galexy, but didn't you ask about protoplanetary disc conditions in a recent-ish post?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/atmospheric-pressure-inside-a-protoplanetary-disc.1009282/

If I recall, the answer was we generally don't know enough to make or break a sci-fi story in terms of realism. Also, if you've completed the story, would you rework it if someone was able to show conditions are not as you have described them? What would that do to your narrative? And why does it matter? Science fiction has latitude not to be real, the point is to use imaginative situations like yours to explore some aspect of the human condition. If you're sufficiently satisfied with your story, why change it?

Yes, you're right! I did post this question before - and I forgot completely!
Thanks for answering both my posts.
I was a fan of the old-style science fiction, before fantasy sci-fi took over. I was trying to write something that bent as few laws of physics as possible. Looks like I only partially succeeded.
Chances are, you won't find my story at your local book seller anytime soon. (LOL)

• Haha
Likes Melbourne Guy
Galexy said:
Chances are, you won't find my story at your local book seller anytime soon. (LOL)
Amazon Kindle is DIY, @Galexy and very easy to use. I've even mastered creating paperback and hard cover versions, and sold a few as well. I'm not on the local bookshop either, not yet at least, but maybe someday...

Galexy said:
Somewhere in a typical PP disc, the gas pressure would be in the range of one Barr.
I think that's too high to be realistic. The volume of the disc is so huge that with that pressure you'd get too much material.
Maybe you could start with adding up the mass of the planets in our solar system and make an estimate about the average density... My guess is that it'll be kind of zero-ish.

To have that pressure on already forming proto-planets might be OK, though. But that means gravity is already in place.

Likes Melbourne Guy

1. What is a protoplanetary disc?

A protoplanetary disc is a rotating disk of gas and dust that surrounds a newly formed star. It is the birthplace of planets and other celestial bodies.

2. What conditions exist inside a protoplanetary disc?

Inside a protoplanetary disc, the temperature ranges from hundreds to thousands of degrees Celsius, and the pressure can be up to millions of times greater than Earth's atmospheric pressure. There is also a high concentration of gas and dust particles, as well as intense radiation from the young star at the center of the disc.

3. How do these conditions affect the formation of planets?

The high temperature and pressure inside a protoplanetary disc cause the gas and dust particles to collide and stick together, eventually forming larger and larger bodies. These bodies can then continue to grow through accretion and eventually form planets.

4. How do scientists study the conditions inside a protoplanetary disc?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study protoplanetary discs, including telescopes that can detect infrared and radio waves, as well as computer simulations and laboratory experiments. These methods allow scientists to gather information about the temperature, pressure, and composition of the disc.

5. What can the study of protoplanetary discs tell us about the formation of our own solar system?

Studying protoplanetary discs can provide insight into the conditions and processes that led to the formation of our own solar system. By comparing different protoplanetary discs, scientists can also gain a better understanding of the diversity of planetary systems in the universe.