Conductor vs Insulator Effects

In summary, the results of the experiments show that when a negatively charged Styrofoam plate is brought towards pieces of paper and aluminum foil placed on an insulator, attraction occurs. However, if the pieces of paper and aluminum foil are placed on a conductor, such as a sheet of aluminum foil, there is no observable difference in the strength of attraction or repulsion. This may be due to the fact that the conductive material underneath the paper and foil takes in the electrons, resulting in positive charges on both the paper and foil. Further research and experimentation may be needed to fully understand the effects of conductors and insulators on the attraction and repulsion of charged objects.
cvc121
If a negatively charged Styrofoam plate is brought towards pieces of paper placed on an insulator (ex. a piece of paper), attraction occurs. Repulsion occurs if pieces of aluminum foil, which is a conductor, are placed on an insulator. What would occur if the pieces of paper and aluminum foil were placed on a conductor, such as a sheet of aluminum foil? Would the pieces of paper still be attracted to the plate while aluminum pieces repelled? Would the strength of attraction or repulsion differ?

Physics news on Phys.org
cvc121 said:
If a negatively charged Styrofoam plate is brought towards pieces of paper placed on an insulator (ex. a piece of paper), attraction occurs. Repulsion occurs if pieces of aluminum foil, which is a conductor, are placed on an insulator. What would occur if the pieces of paper and aluminum foil were placed on a conductor, such as a sheet of aluminum foil? Would the pieces of paper still be attracted to the plate while aluminum pieces repelled? Would the strength of attraction or repulsion differ?

You have a great set of questions there and the first thing you should be doing is some basic
experiments of your own :smile:
This would be very easy to do at home and you would learn a whole lot more than if some one just handed you the answers :wink:

so give it a try and come back and tell us your results

Dave

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the experiments but yield the exact same results for both. However, it is to my understanding that there should be an observable difference. I have done lots of research regarding the topic but still cannot come up with a valid answer.

Would anyone be able to clarify? I am still confused as to why placing a conductor or insulator below the pieces of paper or aluminum foil would make a difference. I can't get it to work.

Am I on the right track in saying that both the paper and aluminum foil would attract because the the conductive material underneath would take in the electrons resulting in positive charges to both the paper and the foil?

1. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow through them easily, while insulators are materials that prevent electric charges from flowing through them.

2. How do conductors and insulators affect electricity?

Conductors allow electricity to flow through them, making them essential for the operation of circuits and electrical devices. On the other hand, insulators prevent electricity from flowing, which is important for safety and preventing electrical shocks.

3. What are some examples of conductors and insulators?

Examples of conductors include metals such as copper, silver, and aluminum, as well as water and the human body. Insulators include rubber, plastic, glass, and wood.

4. How do conductors and insulators affect heat?

Conductors are also good heat conductors, meaning they allow heat to flow through them easily. Insulators, on the other hand, are poor heat conductors and are used to prevent heat loss or transfer in insulation materials.

5. Why are conductors used for electrical wiring and insulators used for electrical insulation?

Conductors are used for electrical wiring because they allow electricity to flow easily and efficiently. Insulators are used for electrical insulation because they prevent electricity from flowing and help to protect against electrical shocks and fires.