How Do Charges Distribute Between Concentric Spheres When Connected by a Wire?

• Thread starter GwtBc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductor
In summary, the problem involves two concentric metal spheres with different charges and radii. The goal is to find the potential difference between the spheres and the charges on each sphere after they are connected with a wire. To solve this, one can use Gauss' law to find the electric field outside the larger sphere and then integrate it to find the potential. When the spheres are connected, all the charge will move onto the larger sphere due to like charges repelling.
GwtBc

Homework Statement

A metal sphere with charge q=3.7 μC and radius r=3.1 cm is concentric with a larger metal sphere with charge Q=13 μC and radius R=5.6 cm. (a) What is the magnitude of the potential difference between the spheres? If we connect the spheres with a wire, what then is the charge on (b) the smaller sphere and (c) the larger sphere?

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the answer is, but if I find an expression for the electric field outside the larger conductor using Gauss' law and then integrate that from infinity to 0.056, then find the potential at the surface of the second conductor by simply using q/4*pi*epsilonnaught*r I should have the correct potentials at both surfaces, and for the second part the constraints are that the electric field between the two conductors is zero and q+Q= 16.7e-6 C?

edit: I just realized that according to Gauss' law, all the charge must move on to the larger sphere once they two are connected (since E_inside = 0). Not sure if I can make sense of this result, could someone please explain?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential at the surface of a charged conducting sphere is the same as if all the charge were confined at the center.
When the spheres are connected, remember that like charges repel... so they will try to get as far apart as possible.

Simon Bridge said:
The potential at the surface of a charged conducting sphere is the same as if all the charge were confined at the center.
When the spheres are connected, remember that like charges repel... so they will try to get as far apart as possible.
Not sure where you're going with the second point.

The second point is in response to this:
I just realized that according to Gauss' law, all the charge must move on to the larger sphere once they two are connected (since E_inside = 0). Not sure if I can make sense of this result, could someone please explain?

1. What is a conductor within a conductor?

A conductor within a conductor refers to a material that has the ability to conduct electricity and is enclosed within another material that also has the ability to conduct electricity. This creates a pathway for electricity to flow through the materials.

2. How does a conductor within a conductor work?

A conductor within a conductor works by allowing free electrons to move through the materials. The electrons are pushed by an electric field and can flow from one end of the conductor to the other, creating an electrical current.

3. What are some examples of conductors within conductors?

Some examples of conductors within conductors include power lines, copper wires, and coaxial cables. These materials are commonly used for transmitting electricity or signals due to their ability to conduct electricity.

4. What are the benefits of using a conductor within a conductor?

The use of a conductor within a conductor allows for efficient and reliable transmission of electricity or signals. It also helps to reduce the loss of energy during transmission, making it a more efficient method of conducting electricity.

5. Are there any limitations to using a conductor within a conductor?

One limitation of using a conductor within a conductor is that it can be more expensive to produce compared to other materials. Additionally, if the materials are not properly insulated, it can lead to interference and signal loss.