Configuring WiFi router with PPPoE and static IP

In summary, the one you linked supports up to 750 Mbps, and the one I bought supports 450 Mbps. Our Ethernet speed is 100 Mbps, so I believe both will give almost same performance.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Before I start, I must say that I haven't yet bought the Wi-Fi router.

We have a broadband connection (no modem, just an RJ45 cable directly into the PC). I want to buy this Wi-Fi router and use the broadband connection to power it. Our ISP provides us a static IP, as well as a username and a password (PPPoE I guess?). I have seen many videos online that show how to configure a static IP, or PPPoE for the router. But can I specify a static IP along with the username and password?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why use videos, you can download the manual from that Amazon page or you can always find them on the TP-Link site?

Anyway the 'static IP' selection in the menu is for a direct connection into a TCP/IP network: such a connection does not have the concept of a username and password. The modem should 'auto-detect' PPPoE and then it will take you to a screen of settings where you can enter your username and password.

If you have any problems you would be better off asking locally, I don't think there is anyone regularly posting on PF that has experience with ISPs where you are.

I don't know if you can stretch to https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0759QMF85/ - this is INR100 more on Amazon and is a much better router?

Likes Wrichik Basu
pbuk said:
I don't know if you can stretch to https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0759QMF85/ - this is INR100 more on Amazon and is a much better router?
The one you linked supports up to 750 Mbps, and the one I bought supports 450 Mbps. Our Ethernet speed is 100 Mbps, so I believe both will give almost same performance.

It's more the support for the 5 GHz band and 802.11ac that makes it more future-proof that I was thinking of.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is a PPPoE connection?

A PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) connection is a type of internet connection that uses a combination of PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) and Ethernet to establish a connection between a device and an internet service provider (ISP). This type of connection is commonly used for DSL and fiber optic connections.

2. How do I configure a WiFi router with PPPoE and static IP?

To configure a WiFi router with PPPoE and static IP, you will need to access the router's settings page through a web browser. From there, you will need to enter your PPPoE login credentials provided by your ISP and then manually enter the static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server information provided by your ISP.

3. What is the purpose of using a static IP with PPPoE?

A static IP address allows a device to have a fixed and unchanging address on a network. When using PPPoE, a static IP is necessary because the PPPoE connection requires a specific IP address to establish a connection with the ISP. This helps ensure a stable and consistent connection.

4. Can I use a dynamic IP address with PPPoE?

No, a dynamic IP address cannot be used with PPPoE. The PPPoE connection requires a specific IP address to be assigned to the device in order to establish a connection with the ISP. Using a dynamic IP would result in connection issues and possible disconnections.

5. How can I troubleshoot PPPoE and static IP connection issues?

If you are experiencing connection issues with your PPPoE and static IP setup, you can try restarting your router and modem, checking your PPPoE login credentials, and ensuring that the static IP address information is correct. You can also contact your ISP for further assistance or consult the router's manual for troubleshooting steps specific to your device.