Confirm whether radius is 300mm or not if the tension is 5N

In summary: It is in a tube. The bob is moving in the tube. And the only force that acts in the tube is the gravitational force.
Josielle Abdilla

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum, suspended from a fixed point cosnits of a light cord of length 500mm and a bob of wieght 2N . The bob is made up to move in a hotizontal path. If the max tension is 4N show whether or not it is possible for the radius of the path of the bob to be 300mm

2.Attempt
I tried to first find the angle the thread makes to the vertical, by knowing one side and an angle one can find the other side using trigonometry. If it is 300N then the radius is ought to be as given at a tension of 5N
If you guys come up with any ideas about this problem, feel free to share them with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Josielle Abdilla said:

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum, suspended from a fixed point cosnits of a light cord of length 500mm and a bob of wieght 2N . The bob is made up to move in a hotizontal path. If the max tension is 4N show whether or not it is possible for the radius of the path of the bob to be 300mm

2.Attempt
I tried to first find the angle the thread makes to the vertical, by knowing one side and an angle one can find the other side using trigonometry. If it is 300N then the radius is ought to be as given at a tension of 5N
If you guys come up with any ideas about this problem, feel free to share them with me.
What forces act on the bob? Did you draw a Free Body Diagram?

Yes, I did draw one, the only forces that act are tension and a centripetal force

Josielle Abdilla said:
Yes, I did draw one, the only forces that act are tension and a centripetal force
Centripetal force does not act. It results from the forces that do act. Specifically, it is that component of the resultant, of all the forces which do act, that is normal to the velocity.
But there is one more force which does act. This set-up is not in space.

1. What is the significance of the radius being 300mm?

The radius being 300mm is important because it determines the size of the circle or sphere in question. It is a crucial measurement in understanding the shape and dimensions of an object.

2. How does the tension of 5N affect the confirmation of the radius?

The tension of 5N is a force that is applied to the object in question. It can help determine the radius by measuring the amount of deformation or displacement caused by the tension.

3. What method can be used to confirm the radius is 300mm?

One method that can be used to confirm the radius is 300mm is by using a measuring tool such as a ruler or caliper. The radius can also be calculated using the formula r = T/(2πσ), where T is the tension and σ is the stress on the object.

4. Are there any other factors that may affect the confirmation of the radius?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the confirmation of the radius. These can include the material and properties of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

5. Why is it important to confirm the radius accurately?

Confirming the radius accurately is important because it ensures that the correct dimensions and properties of the object are known. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and capabilities of the object in various situations and applications.