Conflating Illusions: False Memories & Role Reversal

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of false memories and how they can be created by conflating two separate things in one's visual field. The participants share personal experiences and question whether there have been any formal studies on the subject. They also touch upon the unreliability of human memory and reference Freud's belief that dreams can be influenced by unconscious associations between people we know.
zoobyshoe
I've never heard this formally discussed in psychology literature but my own experience is that some false memories are the result of conflating two things that are in your visual field.

Last week I saw one woman walking a dog and simultaneously another woman walking without a dog. I closed my eyes briefly because of a sun glare, and an image of the 2nd woman walking the dog appeared in my mind. I had mentally removed the dog from the first woman and given it to the second woman. That intrigued me because it seemed the seed of a false memory.

Has anyone else caught themselves doing this? Does anyone know if there's any formal studies of the phenomenon?

I don't know how many times I have been certain that a particular passage I'm looking for in a book will be on a specific side only to find out it is actually on the other side. With both sides in my field of vision when I am struck by the passage, I often somehow mentally transposed the passage from one side to the other, but feel confident the erroneous memory is true.

I have also had a couple of dreams which I woke up to realize were based on memories of specific situations. In the dream, though, I had reversed roles: I was reliving the scene as the other person and casting them in my role. Our minds seem to be able to do this fairly easily; substitute one person, or thing, for another in remembering things.

Physics news on Phys.org
viraltux said:
Human memory is extremely unreliable, check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_bias
That's a good list. I hadn't realized they'd identified so many different types of memory distortion.

The thing I'm talking about is discussed by Freud in relation to dreams where someone who appears in a dream seems, when we wake up, to have been a composite of several people we know. I've had many dreams like this. Freud's contention was that they become conflated in the dream because they actually do share something in real life (in relation to us, anyway) that causes us to unconsciously associate them.

What is the concept of "conflating illusions"?

The concept of "conflating illusions" refers to the phenomenon where false memories and role reversal can lead to a distortion or blending of one's perception of reality. This can occur when an individual's memories are influenced by external factors, leading to a confusion of what is real and what is imagined.

How do false memories and role reversal contribute to conflating illusions?

False memories occur when an individual remembers events or experiences that did not actually happen, while role reversal involves taking on the perspective or characteristics of another person. These can both contribute to conflating illusions by altering an individual's perception of what is real, as their memories and perspectives may be influenced by external factors instead of accurately representing their own experiences.

What are some common causes of conflating illusions?

Conflating illusions can be caused by a variety of factors, including suggestibility, misinformation, and cognitive biases. It can also be influenced by emotional states, such as trauma or stress, which may impact an individual's ability to accurately recall memories or perceive reality.

How can conflating illusions be addressed or prevented?

To address or prevent conflating illusions, it is important to critically evaluate information and memories, and to rely on evidence-based practices for memory retrieval and processing. It can also be helpful to seek professional help, such as therapy or counseling, if concerns about false memories or role reversal arise.

What are the implications of conflating illusions in areas such as criminal justice and eyewitness testimony?

Conflating illusions can have significant implications in areas such as criminal justice and eyewitness testimony, as it can impact the accuracy of witness accounts and the validity of evidence. This highlights the importance of addressing and preventing conflating illusions, and relying on reliable and verifiable information in these contexts.