Are nightmares caused by adrenaline or vice-versa?

• Thread starter tobyr65
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a dream that caused the person to wake up with a start. In the dream, they were outside with their dogs at night when they noticed a rabbit and then a wolf and lion entering their yard. The person then woke up and wondered if the chemicals in their body caused the adrenaline rush or if the dream itself caused the reaction. The conversation also mentions a scientific study on the body's response to dreams and how PTSD can affect this response. It advises against searching for information on this topic due to the abundance of unscientific information available.
tobyr65
I had this dream. Simple and short and woke me with a start. I walk outside the front door at night with my two small dogs so they can pee. It isn't dark in the yard or in the neighbor's across the street due to a large street lamp the neighbor has at the corner. I can't see beyond the corner, it's all dark there.

The dogs are sniffing around and doing their thing. I notice a rabbit half hidden by a small bush. Then a couple more by a tree. Then more further away under another tree. The dogs become alert toward the dark and neighborhood cats come running into the yard from the dark and Harry starts to bark. I'm straining to see what's caused the commotion and a wolf is walking into the yard.

As I turn and run inside I see a full grown lion charging (at me or dogs). I'm in and I want to close the door but the dogs are a yard or so from the door and not moving. I know the lion has had time to get them and I'm calling them in fear knowing I'm about to shut them out.

Suddenly Peanut runs in front of Harry inside (very uncharacteristic of her) he runs in behind her. I shut the door before a house cat can follow them. It jumps on the door. Then I wake. I'm not afraid of anything in the dream before the wolf and lion. So did chemicals cause the adrenaline to cause the dream or did the dream cause the reaction to cause the rush?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Basically, your response to the dream "imagery", since it was scary, resulted in your adrenal system triggering the fight or flight response. You just scared yourself awake, so to speak. This happens, especially to young children, but nobody is immune to it. No worries.

This is a nuts and bolts discussion: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2917081/
PTSD and some other problems make this system go into overdrive.

If you do a search for 'Adrenal response to dreams' you will get a huge amount of woo-woo stuff. Some actual science is out there as well.

Likes gracy and tobyr65

1. Are nightmares caused by adrenaline or vice-versa?

Nightmares are not caused by adrenaline, but rather by our emotions and thoughts while we sleep. Adrenaline is a hormone that is released during moments of stress or fear, and can contribute to the intensity of a nightmare.

2. Does adrenaline affect the frequency of nightmares?

There is no direct link between adrenaline and the frequency of nightmares. However, if someone is experiencing high levels of stress or anxiety, they may have an increase in adrenaline which can make nightmares more frequent.

3. Can nightmares be caused by a lack of adrenaline?

No, nightmares are not directly caused by a lack of adrenaline. However, if someone has low levels of adrenaline, they may have trouble managing stress and anxiety, which can contribute to the occurrence of nightmares.

4. Is there a way to prevent nightmares by controlling adrenaline levels?

There is no direct way to prevent nightmares by controlling adrenaline levels. However, managing stress and anxiety through relaxation techniques and seeking professional help can help reduce the frequency and intensity of nightmares.

5. Can someone have nightmares without any adrenaline present?

Yes, it is possible to have nightmares without any adrenaline present. As mentioned before, nightmares are primarily influenced by our emotions and thoughts while we sleep, so adrenaline is not a necessary factor for their occurrence.